450Hp in stock 993TT !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 03:40 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 450Hp in stock 993TT !?!?

Hi all!

I own a 993TT 1996 and I recently did a few runs on a 1/4 mile strip with official timing. I must say that I did fairly well especially since I managed to avoid frying the clutch or making the back wheel jump up and down which is not always the eaysiest thing to avoid

My best time:
60ft - 1.939 sec
660ft - 8.125 sec / 88.24 mph
1/4mile - 12,479 / 114.34 mph

Now, I did some calculations from these numbers and the weight of my car. Since all drag racers seems very convinced that it is a very accurate way of calculating the HP I thought, hey! why not try it!? Btw. the weight was mesured under the same conditions when I corner weighed my car earlier this summer.

I used this web-site for the calculations:
<a href="http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_HP_fromMPHandWeight.asp" target="_blank">http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_HP_fromMPHandWeight.asp</a>

To my surprise the calculations showed that my car should have approx. 410Hp on the wheels!!! If this is converted to Hp on the engine it would (with a consevative 10% loss) mean 450Hp.

How is this possible? Are Porsches factory numbers really that low? I'm pretty sure that I don't have the 450Hp kit installed because I don't have the auxilary oilcooler and the guy who owned it before me are an older gentleman. I don't think he would put anything else than Porsche original parts in his car.

My car weigh 3518 pounds (including 40 litres of fuel and 70kg driver)

Can someone here tell me if the calculations I made are totally wrong or if there is something else that I don't know about this!?
Old 07-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Lightbulb

Erik,

Don't take that MPH calculation to heart friend. I have used that site to compare & find the MPH/Weight section to be a bit skewed. Disregard its findings.

However, it looks as if the "Weight/ET" calculation is very close.

Using your weight of 3518 and ET of 12.479 - I see a calculation of 357.80 @ the wheels.

Going with a 12% drive line loss (357.80 Divided by .88) you can derive a 406.5 crank HP estimate.

That seems to be much more accurate 'eh. Enjoy it.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:49 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
993tt
When UK mag Autocar tested the first 408ps 993tt in 1995 they managed the 1/4 in 12.3 secs @ 114 mph. Those mph v's weight calculations always seem to come out far too high, at least on 993tts.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:44 AM
993tt
Racer

Yeah... It seems that I won't be using that calculation anymore

Btw. I remembered this morning that I never seen my turbo pressure go above 0.8 bar. That seems to indicate that the engine is stock, right!? Or atleast that nobody has tuned it the 'easy' way.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Exclamation

Erik,

To my understanding, the factory boost gauge in your car will read no higher than .8 bar. So even if you had BIG boost, you wont see it on the factory gauge (how do you like them apples).

My 1991 C2 Turbo factory boost gauge only read up to .7 bar (again, no matter how much boost was fed to it).

Additionally, your car cant be boosted "the easy way" anyhow. No old school upgrades for your car my friend.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty darn sure.
Old 07-04-2002, 02:32 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erik - Michael is correct, no matter what boost you are running, the stock gauge will never read above .8 bar. Your car could have the 450 HP factory powerkit in it that was available to European cars. I know several of the U.K. posters have this in their cars so you may want to post over on the 993TT board to see if someone can help you determine if you have this option (this option was not available for US cars, by the way). This powerkit can also be purchased as an after market kit (see <a href="http://carnewal.com)." target="_blank">http://carnewal.com).</a> There are also several tuners that can remap the ECU without changing the internals of the engine or the Turbos to get 450 HP from the car. Unless you are an exceptional drag racer, those times suggest to me that you have a car with more than stock power.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:24 PM
993tt
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by ZCAT3:
<strong>Erik - Michael is correct, no matter what boost you are running, the stock gauge will never read above .8 bar.

you may want to post over on the 993TT board to see if someone can help you determine if you have this option

Unless you are an exceptional drag racer, those times suggest to me that you have a car with more than stock power.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ohh... ok, so the gauge is not a good indicator. Noted!

I've already checked with Porsche today and my car doesn't have this option. According to them it is a stock 408PS car. I also know that I don't have the extra oil cooler so it cannot be the Torbo S kit.

Hmmmm... maybe I'm exceptional then But to tell the truth, I thought it was a pretty good run but nothing like perfect... Anyway, I seen on other places on Internet that stock 993TT have made even better times than mine. I think the best one I've seen are 12,3 @ 114,1 mph <a href="http://www.dragtimes.com/" target="_blank">http://www.dragtimes.com/</a>

Quick Reply: 450Hp in stock 993TT !?!?