Sponsored by:

XM Radio Reception problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default XM Radio Reception problems

Anyone have reception issues with XM? I now have the XM radio wired in to my stereo. I have replaced every stereo piece with very high quality components. I installed the antenna under the rear package shelf (or whatever it is called). I get clear reception but it sounds hollow.

Has anyone had this experience? Would moving the antenna to the roof fix this? I am a little dissapointed in the sound quality of XM as a result. I do like not having to listen to commercials though and CNBC in the car is a plus...
Old 04-14-2004, 03:51 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Moose,

When I first installed XM radio and put the antenna under the rear shelf I had good/strong reception except when going through an underpass/tunnel. I have since moved the antenna into the little indentation area under the rear shelf and the reception doesn't seem to be impacted by the underpasses.

Others have mounted their antenna on top of the shelf, but in the car. Do a search and you may see some others experiences.

-Skip
Old 04-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

No reception problems:
Old 04-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XM antenna is mounted in front of the windshield. No reception problems at all.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:02 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this topic has been covered over and over on the XMfan and even siriusbackstage forums..

mounting on the roof with a metal ground plane will positively give the best possible results..

good news is that BOTH XM and Sirius have smaller Magnetic mount antennas now so no more glue on your paint!

Quick Reply: XM Radio Reception problems