shimmey
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 15 Posts

In a cold garage
Old 10-29-2021, 08:50 AM
shimmey
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 15 Posts

I am just running all season tires, only when the roads are dry.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:25 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Hi Shimmey,
My wife commuted in our 2nd Porsche an '86 Carrera to and from work year-round in Cleveland rain or snow, a lot of snow. The word is Snow Tires, 4 of them on inexpensive beater rims purchased off of eBay.
Not just two snow tires on the rear only, this led to the demise of our first Porsche.
I suppose if the pavement is not snow-covered then any all-season tire will work.
My view is any 993 in good running condition is with $40,000 these days, do you really want to pickle it with calcium-chloride brine sprayed on winter roads anyway?
Andy
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (11-01-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 11:37 AM
susej1981
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why wait 6 months to drive your car when you can enjoy it year round- they're fairly rust resistant with the galvanization they did on the chassis unlike other car makes. We're all going to die one day, you can't take your 993 to the grave (I guess you could)- have fun with it however you please.

The following 4 users liked this post by susej1981:
M. Schneider (11-01-2021), orangecurry (10-29-2021), pp000830 (10-31-2021), velvetmachine (11-03-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:51 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmey
In a cold garage
Then just start the car as normal - these cars were designed to run in such climates. Look in your handbook to choose the correct oil for the temperatures. I'd always choose an oil with the correct viscosity and decent ZDDP levels for these engines. Yes this is half an oil thread.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:52 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

I ran Blizzacks tires on beater rims- as mentioned. I HAD chrome rims and they'd get rusted and pitted here in MN so it was more about the wheels than tires anyway. My garage never gets below 40 in the winter so even when it was super cold, it fired up fine and drove great. Never worried about the oil as It was never going to sit out in -20 temps for more than an hour over a lunch break anyway.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:57 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

I tried driving my 964 here in New England a few winters ago. There are a few days where the roads are clear of salt and snow, but that’s not the norm and that wasn’t the point. We drove the car on a few trips to ski country. Bad idea.

The driving was a blast, but the underside of the car suffered. Some of the shiny new suspension bits aren’t quite so shiny. My mechanic begged me not to drive the car again in the winter.

In Massachusetts they lay down five different materials including liquid brine, liquid magnesium chloride, rock salt, sand, and a premix of rock salt and calcium chloride used in reduced salt areas. The liquid brine is very effective at sticking to the roads, and every nook and cranny under your car. The liquid brine with magnesium chloride is particularly bad for your car. The magnesium crust on your car will suck water out of the air and creates the perfect environment for rust.

There are a few golden days when most of the salt and chloride has been washed off the roads, so go out and enjoy them. And do run with a proper set of winter tires at those temps. But don’t get stuck on the roads before a storm, that brine is nasty stuff.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:24 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts

Noted. As much as I'm " encouraged " by driving in snow conditions ( I'm a Californian, so go easy) , fully understand what you're saying. Might make me change my tune. I'll say it again, full respect to those that drive in winter conditions. I would like to think I would be one of these guys driving in such conditions, but I respect reality. Maybe do it one winter only then proverbially bag it!!

Last edited by os993; 10-30-2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:27 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

went to a 0-40 and ran winter sport snow tires from Pirelli with no issues....as long as the snow was cleared in most places..........slow on ice
Old 11-01-2021, 09:04 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

The All-Season Tire marketing is a bad North American joke. A quality 4 set of Mud & Snow rated tires, (M/S) is a must in Germany regulated by TUV. Beginning in the Fall the switch to steel wheels fitted with dedicated M/S tires is the norm.
Here in Vail, there are many 911's running around during the winter season - with M/S tires. .. The Vail temps are cold, cold with fresh snow accumulation daily ..

Think Snow!
Old 11-01-2021, 11:27 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The All-Season Tire marketing is a bad North American joke. A quality 4 set of Mud & Snow rated tires, (M/S) is a must in Germany regulated by TUV. Beginning in the Fall the switch to steel wheels fitted with dedicated M/S tires is the norm.
Here in Vail, there are many 911's running around during the winter season - with M/S tires. .. The Vail temps are cold, cold with fresh snow accumulation daily ..

Think Snow!
Totally agree. All season tires are crap. But based on the Few Articles I have read, M + S tires are also All season tires. If you regularly drive in colder temperatures or snow, the drivers choice is a proper set of winter tires with the TPMS Symbol. Possible that they’re driving M + S tires in Vail for the mud season and fall as well as it’s a good three season tire. But when thinking snow, think TPMS. I’m a Nokian Hakka guy.

Last edited by Foxman; 11-01-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

all season tires are far from crap for the vast majority of people that encounter (wait for it) all seasons. Most parts of the country have less than 5 days per year of snow accumulation on the roads and lets say another 5 days of icy conditions, in which non-studded winter tires also struggle. Some years less, some years more. Most people also have zero interest in storing an additional set of wheels/tires or the space to do snow, not to speak of the added cost. While there is no question that true winter tires are better than all seasons for those 10-15 days per year, for the remaining 350 days, all season provide a quiet comfortable ride, excellent treadwear, decent performance for street driving, and good rain performance. In the snow, my cayenne with so called "crappy" DWS 06 all seasons performed fine. Sure it slid a bit more than winter tires, but easily controllable.

If you live in denver or utah or something, of course winter tires are a good idea. otherwise, I can't imagine calling all season tires crap.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:00 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
all season tires are far from crap for the vast majority of people that encounter (wait for it) all seasons. Most parts of the country have less than 5 days per year of snow accumulation on the roads and lets say another 5 days of icy conditions, in which non-studded winter tires also struggle. Some years less, some years more. Most people also have zero interest in storing an additional set of wheels/tires or the space to do snow, not to speak of the added cost. While there is no question that true winter tires are better than all seasons for those 10-15 days per year, for the remaining 350 days, all season provide a quiet comfortable ride, excellent treadwear, decent performance for street driving, and good rain performance. In the snow, my cayenne with so called "crappy" DWS 06 all seasons performed fine. Sure it slid a bit more than winter tires, but easily controllable.

If you live in denver or utah or something, of course winter tires are a good idea. otherwise, I can't imagine calling all season tires crap.
To each his own, and sorry if I offended with the reference to crappy tires. But as you note, all seasons are a compromise that don’t provide the ultimate performance in winter or summer. I take my driving seriously, and won’t compromise with lesser performance. My family is riding on it.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:14 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Quadcammer, I just picked up a set of RS Spyder wheels for my Cayenne GTS. They came equipped with all season Pirelli Scorpions with plenty of tread on them. Let me know if you want them. I bought the smaller 20” wheels to run a dedicated set of winter tires.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

appreciate the offer, but i have some mostly new dws on there. nice wheels btw.

I'm not offended, I just don't find it fair to call them crap as they are more than adequate for the vast majority of circumstances. Given the seriousness with which you take driving and your apparent ability to afford and store another set of wheels/tires, I'm sure two distinct sets will be more appropriate for you, but you may be an outlier.

Quick Reply: Sub Zero Winter Driving