Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone here test drive a 930 before they bought their 993?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:54 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone here test drive a 930 before they bought their 993?

I've been trying to find a dealership near me to go do a test drive. My next car purchase is going to be for a street car that sees maybe 5 or so DEs a year and maybe an AutoX here and there. It won't be my primary car either (I have a beater and a Bimmer for other stuff).

I love the looks of the 993 but a TT is out of my range, so I was hoping to score a C2S (don't want AWD).

Realizing the power limitation of the n/a lump of the 993, I've been intrigued by the 930. The capabilities seem endless and despite the antiquated suspension (torsion bars) and the annual valve adjustment they are in the running as well.

I took my girlfriend (until I make another big purchase) out looking at P-Cars this weekend and she also loves the 993 body style, but she won't be driving it much so that's not too much of a concern.

I plan on gutting the majority of the interior and removing some of the superfluous nonsense.

I'm really curious if anyone here test drove a 930 (preferably one modded to around 350-400bhp) before they decided on the 993. I'm not sure which would make the better track car (if I upgraded the 930 turbos to the K27 high-flow for less on/off power delivery) - they both would weigh around the same stripped I think.

I'm looking for any experience or comments you guys may have.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Optimo,

I drove a 330-350HP 930 before buying my 993, they are phenomenal machines. Admittedly I was not even thinking about track driving at the time, but it was the 6-speed versus 4-speed gearbox that made the biggest difference for me. Driving the 930 as intended makes me illegal in second gear around these parts. I'd have to be nuts to ever apply the power in 3rd gear in a 930 on the public roads. However, there is a 5-speed box in the later 80's models I believe

enjoy

Nol
Old 04-12-2004, 05:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,031 Likes on 2,843 Posts

The 930 is a wild animal. I know that I'd be scared to own one. They are not forgiving in the least when it comes to their handling and power delivery. Lightly modified, they are WAY faster than a C2S in a straight line, but I would not find it a satisfying track car, since the throttle response is rather lazy - making mid-corner adjustments rather dicey. They also require more maintenance than a 993 and people rebuild them (especially modified versions) much more frequently. However, if you're an excellent driver looking for endless challenges, then go for the 930 - but be careful!

On the plus side, they are lighter than a C2S and have much more steering feedback (manual steering).

The stock 4 speed tranny of the 930 (except in 89) is pretty widely spaced for track use as well.

Have you considered a 911 (pre-964) modified with a powerful normally aspirated motor? I think having light weight and instant throttle response is the ticket to fun at the track with a 2WD rear-engined Porsche
Old 04-12-2004, 05:47 PM
flatair
Racer

If you're just doing around 5 DE's a year and the occasional AutoX, don't worry so much about which is the better track car. They're both great cars but completely different beasts.

993 = well balanced all star, the better car of the two

930 = raw beast with tremendous modification potential, will bite you much quicker than a 993 if you don't watch it

I prefer a good balanced car to all out power in DE events (albeit I'm not an expert by any means).

Brad
Old 04-12-2004, 06:02 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

Originally posted by GrantG
The 930 is a wild animal. I know that I'd be scared to own one. They are not forgiving in the least when it comes to their handling and power delivery. Lightly modified, they are WAY faster than a C2S in a straight line, but I would not find it a satisfying track car, since the throttle response is rather lazy - making mid-corner adjustments rather dicey. They also require more maintenance than a 993 and people rebuild them (especially modified versions) much more frequently. However, if you're an excellent driver looking for endless challenges, then go for the 930 - but be careful!

On the plus side, they are lighter than a C2S and have much more steering feedback (manual steering).

The stock 4 speed tranny of the 930 (except in 89) is pretty widely spaced for track use as well.

Have you considered a 911 (pre-964) modified with a powerful normally aspirated motor? I think having light weight and instant throttle response is the ticket to fun at the track with a 2WD rear-engined Porsche
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I read about the K-27 hi-flow upgrade which is supposed to make the car less on/off in power delivery. It's still a 930 and it's still a turbo, but less scary of a transformation from dog to mach 2. I had not considered a modified 911 (unfortunately I really like the widebodied P-Cars, somewhat of fulfilling a dream) with a modded n/a engine. To me it's probably try and find a 993 C2S in my price range, in Arena Red and upgrade the brakes and strip it (which I also think is an easier track car to drive) or a modded 930 making respectable power (nothing too insane though) and spend the next 20 years learning it at the track and not trying to kill myself.

I just have a fear of buying one and then wanting the other down the road. It's a shame I can't buy both. I also agree that the 993 is a safer track car, but is it as rewarding? Decisions, decisions - the 993 is the only 911 body that makes me drool though.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:06 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

I have owned both (still own the 930 - about 410 RWHP). The 993 is going to be much easier to drive at the track (not saying that it is easy, though). The 930 4 speed gearbox is a bit of a pain for normal driving, but really shines at the track, particularly in higher HP 930s. You can get close to 50 in first, 100 in second, about 140 in third, and 200 in fourth (although most cars cannot reach that due to drag limitations). On a typical road course you could be in second and third the whole time and still be in a nice boost/power zone.

The 993 is much more practical, modern, and technically superior in every way. Non-boosted steering, for example, can get to you when having to make slow speed tight maneuvers. Working AC in a 930 is rare and getting a non-working AC system up to snuff can easily be $1000 - 2000 unless you do it yourself. The 993 will also be cheaper to own - especially if the power mod bug hits you with the 930.

The 930 is a constant challenge. After 3 years of owning mine and several track days with it I still have to concentrate whenever I drive it and I can get my heart rate up merely by pushing the throttle down.

That said, I chose the 930. But if I wanted a daily driver type car, the 993 would win hands down.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:51 PM
solsrch
Pro

My 930 needed some work (bought it 3rd hand) on the engine. So my max power impression won't really help you. I was surprised both in the car's response and the factory hp/torque curves when I checked the manual because unmodified the engine gets into the power curve quickly and stays there. Most mods will undoubedly make it more "peaky" but I was amazed how much easier it was to drive in the power band than any of the previous turbocharged cars I had owned. Handling, as others have said, the 993 is easier. Transmission - ugh. I had a 4 speed. I think the 89's were the only ones with the five speed. As I looked into my difficulties I found that worn sychros, etc. were very common with that gear box. Personally, major work on the gear box was a higher priority to me than the engine (even though the engine came in need of work) because I really didn't like it. Other issue with 930s. If you drive them all the time they need work. If you don't drive them enough, they need work. Basically, I would expect to spend more on the car in annual maintenance if you go with the 930. Stuff like A/C, forget it. I still loved the car but . . . Track only, 930 probably a good choice. As a fun driver, I would be concerned that the other issues might take the wind out of your sails after awhile. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Did anyone here test drive a 930 before they bought their 993?