Sponsored by:

painting bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 01:41 AM
larbaby2th
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post painting bumpers

I had a little tiny rear-ender and just a small crease in rear bumper, and the lady just paid for the estimate, $1025!!! Decided, since I would be out of town until July 8th, to go ahead and do front bumper, ie rock chips etc. 98 C-2S in a difficult color, ocean blue. I am excited and confident that the shop which does all work for, and is owned by the local Porsche dealership, will do an exquisite job. Larry
Old 07-01-2002, 06:50 PM
964Cab
Instructor

Kim: How much did they charge you to just paint the bumper ? I assume you gave them a new bumper ? Was installing the bumper a difficult task ?

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 07-02-2002, 05:43 PM
H. Miller
Racer

I am thinking about buying a used 993 with 2 dents about the size of a silver or half dollar in the back bumper. The paint looks ok but the bumper is indented about a half inch in two places where it was hit by someone backing into it.
The current owner said the Porsche dealer can remove the bumper, push out the dents and reinstall it and it would be fine (about $600). I think the bumper might need replacing.
Any thoughts here based on my vague description?
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:35 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Hey Lar,

I just had my front bumper painted about 3 weeks ago. Because I installed the clear turn signals and had to remove the bumperettes, they filled in the holes with glass and had to repaint/rework the whole front bumper.
Since the front bumper had a lot of minor scratches, chips, etc. I was glad to get it cleaned up.
When I got the car back, the paint was matched extremely well. The only thing that really stood out was, the front bumper looked like brand new fresh paint (obviously.) It was shiny and bright etc. The rest of the car looked a tad bit more weathered.
The best fix for this will be a couple days on the track
My car is artic silver btw...

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my car it had minor front end damage (the bumper cover was cracked) and the rear had peeling paint due to removal of the stickers required by the city of San Francisco. I took the opportunity to replace both with the Euro style (no bumperettes) and clear turn signals. It cost $2000 for the bumper covers and clear signals (from Gert) and about $1000 for the prep and painting.

The owner of the shop showed me how and why he would need to color match the paint instead of just using the paint code. There were distinct differences in the color of the paints from different suppliers and all were slightly different than the color on my car. In the end he got the match perfect to my eye. (My car is Iris Blue Metallic.)
Old 07-04-2002, 02:18 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts
Howie,

I just got my car back Monday from the body shop who replaced my rear bumper cover. (The P-Car dealer, in their infinite wisdom, sent my spotless car out to Joe Blow's car cleaning after my 30K service appointment without my knowledge or consent. The kid picking it up snagged the rear bumper cover on the dealer's steep driveway and peeled the bumper cover back enough to tear it.) The bumper cover itself was $1352.89 Miscellaneous parts (clips, brackets, exhaust tip bezel, etc) added another $115. Labor and paint were another $590 for a total of $2057. Paint is Artic Silver, and they did an outstanding job of matching the existing paint. They have quite a bit of experience with Porsches which I think helped.

Jason

Quick Reply: painting bumpers