Sponsored by:

Driver door stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 08:37 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver door stuck closed

Looking for some advice in getting my driver door open. I am not able to open the door from either the outside or inside. I have the inside door card off and have been using the passenger side to try and understand how the latch releases from the striker but I am stumped. The latch release mechanism in question is item 25 in the diagram below (ignore the red markings as I copied this from another thread). I have removed the actuator as well as the door handle pull so that I can get better access to the latch, however the cover is still in place (since the screws holding the cover are only accessible when the door is open). I don't seem to have parts 38-49 (looks like a physical door lock). I can see motion on the latch but it does not seem to release such that the door would pop open. Looking for suggestions as to what I could try at this stage. Wondering as well if I took the car to a body shop they might have some special tool for something like this. Thanks, Frank

Old 09-01-2021, 10:18 PM
rdad993
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

I seem to remember a similar problem in another 911 I owned (an '84 Carrera). One of the retaining clips had somehow gotten loose, a connecting rod slipped down (like #40 in the illustration) and the mechanism couldn't release the latch. It could be something simple, hopefully. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2021, 05:04 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey FrankNot sure how helpful this will be - I could still open from the inside - but there are some pics:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...issue-fix.html
Old 09-03-2021, 11:51 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdad993
I seem to remember a similar problem in another 911 I owned (an '84 Carrera). One of the retaining clips had somehow gotten loose, a connecting rod slipped down (like #40 in the illustration) and the mechanism couldn't release the latch. It could be something simple, hopefully. Good luck!
Thanks, no doubt it will be something simple when I finally get this figured it out. Everything is fairly mechanical in this error but it seems very over engineered when I can't figure out all the moving pieces. Thanks for the luck part ... I still need it
Old 09-03-2021, 11:58 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Hey FrankNot sure how helpful this will be - I could still open from the inside - but there are some pics:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...issue-fix.html
Thanks for the link and the pictures. I tried moving both the green latch as well as the actuator bar by hand (I unattached it from the latch mechanism itself) as far as they would go to see if I could get the latch to release but still not happening. Next task will be to take the cover off (I will probably have to destroy it to get it off) to see if there is anything more obvious that is stuck or not working as it should
Old 09-06-2021, 09:51 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

So I had to destroy the black cover over the latch to get a better idea of what was happening. The latch itself is based on a tension spring with a 2 stage catch; pulling the door handle releases the catch and the tension spring then rotates the latch off the striker such that the door should pop open. Only in my case while the catch was working the tension spring wasn't doing it's job and the latch would not rotate when the catch was released.. A couple of days with PB Blaster and finally was able to push the door open with a soft kick from the inside. Put some degreaser on the latch, wire brushed followed by some lubricating oil and the latch pieces are now all moving though not as cleanly as the passenger side. I may end up removing the latch from the door to service it better or replace it entirely.
The following users liked this post:
rdad993 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 03:39 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like a result, thanks for updating the thread. I'd probably want to strip it down and refurbish - now that you have the door open - avoid going thro that again. Cheers Frank.

Quick Reply: Driver door stuck closed