Sponsored by:

I HATE my dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:38 PM
scs32
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HATE my dealership

I have always been a dealership service type of person, but after moving up to Seattle, I absolutely HATE the local dealership. The people at Barrier are some of the most frustratingly unhelpful people I've ever seen in the service business. More than that they're arrogant.

What do people do around here? For those of us who aren't DIYers (by any stretch of the imagination). Do people feel comfortable with indies?

arrrgghh,
Steve

p.s. Can you tell where I was 30 minutes ago?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I know how you feel. Its REALLY rare these days to get good (and fair) service from any type of business that is..

What happened? (or didnt happen)
Old 04-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve and Chris,

Unfortunately, I share your sentiments. Nathalie and I used to drive 5 hours to Atlanta to continue using our tried-and-true Infiniti dealership back when we owned those cars. Since supposedly moving up the autmotive ladder (to German makes), the service experience has generally sucked on every car except BMW. Too bad I don't really fancy Chris Bangle's styling, nor the blown engine on our M3 at 8,000 miles.

To add insult to injury, we have to drive over an hour to get to the crappy places. I would have thought that you folks in bigger cities, e.g. Seattle, would have it better than us, but maybe not.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:31 PM
JoeW
Pro

Just a suggestion: Contact you local branch of PCA. They'll be able to refer you to the best local wrenches w/o enduring the (at best) vagaries of dealer fantasyland. Joe W.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:02 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 66 Posts

contact John Walker's Workshop: http://johnwalkersworkshop.com/

if he can't/won't work on your car, I am sure he will steer you in the right direction.

....not affiliated etc. etc....just a benefactor of his online advise

Also, you aren't too far from Steve Weiner in Portland if you start down the modification slope..

max
Old 04-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I live in Seattle and have been happy with Gerber Motorsports. There are many fine repair shops listed on the local PCA club website - http://pnwr.pca.org/spiel/sponsors/

I know many people are happy with Chris's German Auto Service (Bellevue) and SQUIRE'S AUTOWERKE (Bellevue).

All the addresses / phone number are listed on the PCA site link.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:17 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Max
John Walker doesnt do much work on 993s..... although hes a very good, reliable and honest porsche mechanic.He used to work on my 911SC so I brought my 993 to him for a looksee when I purchased. He wants to buy one himself. Ever see his speedster?
Denny Acre service on Broadway is excellant and I used to use Fat City until the shop rate hit $105 an hour.
-CJ
Old 04-10-2004, 06:26 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the problems... can you elaborate?

I wouldn't hesitate to go to an independant... I've also heard good things about Squire, and I've had "relatively" good luck with Chris's. However, I now take my car to Monty at Redmond European. He has very good rates, and has done good work for me.

Best of luck.

Erick
Old 04-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use mainly independent shops, but I am on the right coast. I feel that the dealer is only for waranty work. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:28 PM
scs32
Advanced

It was really the straw that broke the camel's back. I went in for a door ajar switch (mine seems to be informing me too often). They didn't have it, but said that they would order it. I asked the price. "$12.50," he responded.

A week later they called and I went to pick it up. As I'm waiting in line, the parts guy is talking to a desperate 993 owner who has lost his key and his key id card. The service rep is basically saying, "It sucks to be you. You shouldn't have lost the card.....try a locksmith...." Here was a guy who was in a bad situation and the guy was being an arrogant *****.

He got off the phone and rang me up. “With tax that will be $20.something.” It’s not the money. It’s the principle. I was a little steamed that they would quote one price and charge another. I guess they were so used to doing it that they figured they could continue doing it with basic parts.

Not to mentioned that the service guy implied that he would do me a favor and pop it on for me. Did that happen? No. They wanted to charge another 30 bucks and could do it tomorrow. The whole situation just pissed me off.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:12 PM
GMS
Pro

I find this a little strange. As a wholesale parts customer of Barrier Porsche, Audi and MB I've aways found them to be helpful and never arrogant.
As far as the 993 key situation; there is nothing the (or any) Porsche dealer can do. Porsche does not hold the key codes for 993 models. If you don't have a spare key and can't get it from the supplying dealer (and many are either not around or don't keep records) there's going to be a problem.
Anyway, as usual, there will be two sides to any story.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:38 PM
scs32
Advanced

Originally posted by GMS
I find this a little strange. As a wholesale parts customer of Barrier Porsche, Audi and MB I've aways found them to be helpful and never arrogant.
As far as the 993 key situation; there is nothing the (or any) Porsche dealer can do. Porsche does not hold the key codes for 993 models. If you don't have a spare key and can't get it from the supplying dealer (and many are either not around or don't keep records) there's going to be a problem.
Anyway, as usual, there will be two sides to any story.
It wasn't me that was having the problem. I had nothing invested in the situation and I still found it amazing. It wasn't the fact that they couldn't help. I understand that. The problem was that they guy showed no empathy whatsoever. If anything, he was chastising the guy.

That was followed up by a 50% price increase for an ordered part.

Steve
Old 04-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Beezr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I haven't heard any positive things about Barrier Porsche service, but I do not have first-hand experience with them. The friends I have who own P-cars go to independent shops and say good things.

Two guys I know use Akers Foreign Automotive in Seattle and another who uses Autohaus Vick in Bellevue. I went to Vick for the 15K service, trust them. I will try Akers next time and see if I like them better. No affiliation with either.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

The white-trash idiots that run our dealerships in the states are the worst.
ouch
Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by scs32
It wasn't me that was having the problem. I had nothing invested in the situation and I still found it amazing. It wasn't the fact that they couldn't help. I understand that. The problem was that they guy showed no empathy whatsoever. If anything, he was chastising the guy. That was followed up by a 50% price increase for an ordered part.
Let me get this straight. First you complain about ordering a $12.50 part and having to pay $20. Then, you say that the service guy offered to pop it in, but didn't. Now, you say you didn't have a problem? So, what exactly is the problem that you feel worthy enough to get a thread going about? In other words, what am I missing?

Quick Reply: I HATE my dealership