Sponsored by:

The Horror!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:56 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

What a story. Horror is right. If the tire shop owner doesn't act promptly to make you 100% happy, just file a small calims court notice on them. In NYS you can small calims up to a $5,000 limit and it is very inexpensive to do and a hell of a motivator to the owner to pay up FAST.

Good luck. Make sure to post "the rest of the story".
Old 04-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, this makes me nervous. I'll need tires soon and my 18"'s are immaculate.

So does anyone know: What is the definitive machine to look for the shop to have that will not do this to the wheels?!?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luis, I would probably ask one of your local club guys as to who's the best and then take pictures that can be proved they were recently taken.
The shop I took mine to had some special European zero touch machine and I was assured that the rims would be perfect. They had also been in business for 20 years, yet it looked like a steel beaked woodpecker had at her for at least an hour!
Rob
Old 04-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Knowing the delicate work required to remove and mount the ZR 265's called my local Porsche Dealer who recommended, as did Tire Rack, this
tire dealer. As in life, it's all about timing....... yesterday it was off, wrong "Tire Guy" and wrong shop. I'll look into Wheel Magic but I really believe the damage is so substantial and with the down time new rims is what I should and will demand. I'll post pics for those that need more
visual content for their nightmares!!!

Send lawyers, G's and $$$ the S has hit the fan (Thanks WZ)
Old 04-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Please accept my apologies if you feel if this is overkill but here are some pics of the damage to one rim (the pics don't really show the extent of the inner rim damage). The rims are Porsche 18" Sport Classic II's' and were perfect before yesterday.

Thanks for listening and everyone's support and guidance.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like digital pics taken as "tire guy" holds each wheel and remarks on the flawless condition.

Also, check that the tire shop has a modern "touchless" tire mount station that uses plastic/teflon contact points (the tool will break before damaging the surface if used improperly and it's designed to wear out rather than touch the rim) and then just watch them do any wheel -- the scary part should be how quickly and deftly the operator can remove an old tyre and mount a new one, plus they should stop and inspect the valve stem, both beads, wheel roundness and true, then check the wheel itself is in balance (and even check for TPMS batteries and positioning strap) -- the whole process should be a blindingly fast sequence for a skilled and well-practiced operator. If the operator reaches for manual tools or starts man-handling the new tyre (it's normal to align it and feed it onto the bead, but that should be confident and effective actions, not trial and error or involving excessive physical effort or manual tools) then forget it and go to another shop. By the way, this does not apply to some of the wild 20" and larger wheels with crazy profile rubber -- those things are damn heavy, they'll never really balance and they'll go out of balance quickly. Blecch!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:26 PM
mick
Racer

Malibu Steve, Ouch, that hurts. A friend just bought some wheels that had been damaged and reconditioned and they look like new so it sounds like you can get them repaired but still what a PITA. I think you are in Springfield, Il as I think I know your car. I have a set of 17" Sport Classic I's if you need to borrow wheels until yours are repaired. Mick
Old 04-12-2004, 02:22 PM
96P993
Pro

I have always had a special way of getting tires installed on my car...its a bit **** but it works. I take the wheels off my Porsche, take them up in my SUV, have the salesguy write up the ticket with notes on the condition of all 4 wheels. This is then printed up and signed by both myself and rep. Then all work is done. When you take a car into a dealer they are supposed to fill out a condition report of the car before taking possession. Why should this be any different for wheels? We spend way to much money on wheels to have something completely avoidable happen to them...This has worked for me for about 5 years now
Old 04-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Malibusteve,

The tire guy clearly screwed the pooch...it is such a roll of the dice with soft allow wheels.

A few years ago I took my BMW to the tire shop in Seattle that is highly recomended by the clubs. They sponsor racing (or at least they did back then) and anyhow, I get my car back and they bunged up the recesses for the lug nuts and cross threaded one of the rotors. I fixed it myself rather than mess with them.

I am using a shop that Tire Rack recommended...it looks a little dirty and tons of people come in to buy 120 lb 24" rims for their Escapades but they do a good job. I might watch them a little but closer next time tho...
Old 04-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Malibu Steve

Your wheels can easily be repaired. Normally it takes 3 days max, sometimes 24 hours. I have done worse damage to my wheels with curbs and it was no problem to get them looking like brand new wheels. Cost is about 75 bucks per wheel so the tire shop won't have a heart attack like they would if they had to lay out 3 grand for new rims.

Good luck with them
Old 04-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob et al. Thanks for all the support. The plot thickens. As I was looking over the rims, again, it appears as though one is cracked a 1/4" from the rim. Further inspection revealed that the "yellow dot" on new tires designating where the tire should align with the valve stem is about 90 deg. off on each. Sounds trivial but adds to the complete "hack job" ........ Mick thanks for the offer on use of your rims I'll let you know if I need them.

Now for some positive news. After presenting all this to the owner of the shop he has agreed that replacement is the best option. 2 new rims on the way. Although a very trying process if this does come to fruition then I must say I give the man credit for finally stepping up to the plate accepting
responsibility.

Don't touch that dial,
Old 04-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: New Porsche Classic II's & S0-2's on the car as of today.
Persistence and patience does pay off; however as prior posts have
indicated when it comes to issues such as these any pre-work agreement as to the condition of anything that could be possibly be damaged during repairs should be discussed and agreed upon. The photo's etc. certianly will lend credibility to any complaint you may have after the service is rendered.

I would like to give a word of thanks to all for your support and suggestsion. Moreover, I would like to acknowledge my respect for the tire shop owner, stepping up to the plate and doing, IMHO, the right thing.

Makes for a nice weekend,

Keep the faith,
Old 04-23-2004, 11:56 PM
nman413
Drifting

Does anyone have any recommendations for wheel fix places in the Bay Area? I have curb rash on one wheel and it would be nice to get it fixed.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:10 AM
rick993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same here
I have curb rash on my speedlines and need to find someone to refurbish.
Any recommendations?
Rick
Old 04-24-2004, 12:40 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you can use wheel techniques in san jose. they seem to do among the best work. although i've had mixed results with them...

Quick Reply: The Horror!!!!