Clear coat on guards red?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 09:18 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Clear coat on guards red?

When (if ever) did Porsche start putting a clear coat on Guards Red?

I was detailing my 95 C4 today, in preparation for applying the Zaino process, and as I used some swirl mark remover on an orbital buffer I was surprised to see the pad turn dark red as the pigment mixed with the dark grey polish.

I knew the 3.2 Carrera had no clear coat on non-metallic colors, but I would have thought by 95 Porsche had gone to a clear on the red.

Unfortunately, I didn't buy the correct Zaino products (they make one for non-clear coated paints), so if anyone wants some Z2 and Z5, drop me a line. I have to get some Z3 now. I went with Blitz wax, and it still looks great.

Vic
95 C4
Old 06-30-2002, 02:26 PM
John.
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the solid colors have clear on them, at least not red. It is one of the worst for oxidation as well.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:30 PM
Fens
Track Day

I can second that! My 97 993 Cab is Guards Red and is not clear coated. But beyond the initial work to bring the paint back from sitting around the lot before I got it, the oxidation has not been any worse than on some of the other older cars I have owned. Of course, if you leave it out all day in the sun and as a daily driver you will have more oxidation. There are some advantages to a non clear coat such as color matching for touch ups, i.e., not a two step base and then clear coat. But it is good that you now know what you have and realize that you do need some different products to care for it!
Old 07-01-2002, 12:42 AM
993C4
Instructor

I'm quite sure guards red on my 95 993C4 Cab is clear coat. I checked with the dealer a while back and he confirmed it.

I've been polishing my car for the last 6 years and everytime (about 4 times a year) I apply the polish (clear coat safe), the aplicator and buffing cloth always turns red.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a chance to park my polished car next to a newly painted guards red 993, and wow, what a difference! Mine looked like 'matt red' and the other 'gloss red'
Of course if you look at my car on it's own, it looks normal.

Which is why I will in future always buy a car with metallic paint.

993C4 Cab
Old 07-01-2002, 12:54 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
If you are polishing the car and getting red pigment on the cloth, there is no clear coat ... when you polish you are removing a thin layer of paint with the polish. If the car is clear coated, what you are removing is the clear coat -- it is clear and will not show up on the cloth. The red pigment would be beneath the clear coat and not show up on the cloth or buffer. That's why on a clear-coated car you have to be careful not to polish too much or too hard because you can go right through the clear coat and ruin the finish.

Polishing the paint four times a year sounds like a lot of polishing to me; once you have the surface free of scratches, swirls and oxidation, just wax or a polymer sealant should protect the finish. All that red you're seeing on the cloths is paint that you're removing from the car, and doing that every three months might not be a good idea.

Vic
95 C4
Old 07-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts
Archive search this one. Memory says only metallic cars have clear coats. I have never seen a guards red car that had one (including 2 of my own cars!)
Old 07-01-2002, 02:39 PM
Michael Elmore
Advanced

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but why wouldn't Porsche clear coat the Guards Red? Is it because of the higher potential for oxidation?

Quick Reply: Clear coat on guards red?