Sponsored by:

1996 993 Cabriolet Carrera pre purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 09:18 PM
BillHi
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 1996 993 Cabriolet Carrera pre purchase

Guys, I'm waiting to get a PPI on the above vehicle with 70K Miles. I believe the color is Arena Red, like a Cabernet Wine. The car appears to be solid mechanically and drives great.
One issue is that the paint has some large scratches and knicks....passenger front fender, passenger door and also Drivers Side.

I know everyone recommends not to paint the original paint but...how else can I address these scratches that are deep and look terrible? Your suggestions appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:42 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BillHi
Guys, I'm waiting to get a PPI on the above vehicle with 70K Miles. I believe the color is Arena Red, like a Cabernet Wine. The car appears to be solid mechanically and drives great.
One issue is that the paint has some large scratches and knicks....passenger front fender, passenger door and also Drivers Side.

I know everyone recommends not to paint the original paint but...how else can I address these scratches that are deep and look terrible? Your suggestions appreciated, thanks!
You could always wrap it, but I don't see the point.

At some point when the imperfections accumulate, fresh paint is more desirable than original paint. Maybe the car you're considering is at that point. A glass out paint job is expensive, so make sure to factor that in to the purchase price.

/
Old 07-22-2021, 05:34 PM
BillHi
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I thought about a wrap...may have to go that route.thanks.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:43 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 244 Posts

Do you have a good local paint shop you could show photos and get an idea of options?
Old 07-22-2021, 10:22 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

Yeah, I thought about a wrap...may have to go that route.thanks.
Most paint imperfections will show through on a wrap. Any deep scratches, nicks, dents, flaking will all be obvious. Specifically on a flat finish too. Just because it has a few scratches I don't think that necessitates a full glass out respray. Arena red is a metallic finish and can be hard to match. Find a good shop.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:58 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 282 Posts

Wrapping arena red? Surely that's a mortal sin.
Get the damage professional fixed. If you're worried about carfax, shoot some "before" pictures. I can't imaging putting up with annoying damage due to fear that fixing will alter value.
The following users liked this post:
Jon 'Bama (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:32 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

did you or are you going to make a test drive?

I recently had the opportunity to drive a 95 cabriolet and despite it was a very nice example of 993, maybe also because I am used to the coupé, the car felt immediately sensitive to torsion, reflecting small capote noises related to the movement of the chassis.
Probably the spirit of a youngtimer convertible doesn't dwell in me, I mean youngtimer, since torsion resistance has been improved considerably (at least 35% at every model change) so also the open version must have benefited of that specific aspect.
​​​​

Quick Reply: 1996 993 Cabriolet Carrera pre purchase