993 Recall WR04

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 Recall WR04

There is indeed another 993 recall in progress in addition to the wiring harness. Thanks to pjc and CJ Dillon for picking this one up.

I have spoken to my local Official Porsche Centre this morning and they confirmed that recall WR04 has no chassis range attached, so they are assuming that it applies to all 993's.

It apparently involves the replacement of a plastic cover in the engine bay. I have no further detail as to exactly which one or where it is located.

At this rate Porsche will be issuing us with recalls to replace the tyres when we reach the wear limits!!

Old 02-03-2003, 08:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe it's the spoiler wall?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Red face

Hi Tim,

Who told you about this as I just sopke with AFN and they don't seem to be aware of it?!

Thanks and regards,

David
Old 02-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi David

It was the Senior Service Advisor at Evans Halshaw Porsche, Little Aston, near Birmingham.
He wasn't aware of it either but he went and checked their recall log and came up with the information that I posted above.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 AM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

I'm going to guess that it's the engine compartement fuse panel cover on the left side.
The inserts broke loose from the plastic they were molded into so I was forced to destroy all three pieces upon removal.
Since the wiring harness recall came out mere weeks after I replaced it as a DIY'er, I figure this fuse panel cover will just be "par for the course".
Bets anyone?
Old 02-03-2003, 10:55 AM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<strong>Maybe it's the spoiler wall?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I'm "torn" here (no pun intended) as this was the first item I fixed on my car when I bought it.

Nope, I'll still bet on the fusebox cover...
Old 02-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

deltajetfixer. I am inclined to agree with you maybe technicians have been breaking these as they change harnesses??
Old 02-03-2003, 12:21 PM
SoCal-CJ (993S)
Instructor

At what point are they going to announce this to all the non-Rennlisters?
Have you guys taken your car in for this yet?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:25 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Additionally, the latest issue of Excellence indicates a future recall may be issued to deal problems with fuel injector wiring problems in 95 and some 96 993's. This information starts on page 143 of the April 2003 issue. Do you think this could possibly be related to the "plastic cover" recall?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:15 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by bet:
<strong>Additionally, the latest issue of Excellence indicates a future recall may be issued to deal problems with fuel injector wiring problems in 95 and some 96 993's.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">This is the same ol' wiring harness recall we are all familiar with.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:35 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">This is the same ol' wiring harness recall we are all familiar with</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">whoops I just skimmed the article last night. I just read it in more detail. I just assumed the wiring harness recall was old news. My mistake.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:11 PM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Tim Ashfield:
<strong>deltajetfixer. I am inclined to agree with you maybe technicians have been breaking these as they change harnesses??</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I'll give the Techs the benefit of the doubt.There is no way to circumvent a spinning insert/frozen bolt without breaking them.
When I replaced my box, I reinstalled the cover with plenty of antiseize and only finger-tight.
The parts averaged about $20 a piece (3 pieces altogether) but the really bad thing was that both Pelican Parts and Gert had to backorder the parts from Germany!
Old 02-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree. I wasn't suggesting that if they were indeed breaking them it would be for any other reason than the bad design of the inserts. But having to remove these covers for the harness changes, maybe they have discovered that a fair proportion of cars are affected by this problem. Conceivably that might prompt a recall. Still we will find out I am sure in due course. At least it doesn't sound like a problem that could burn your car to the ground!!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by deltajetfixer:
<strong>I'm "torn" here (no pun intended) as this was the first item I fixed on my car when I bought it.

Nope, I'll still bet on the fusebox cover...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Since you've already done this, that's propably what it is!
Seriously, i think you're right, more likely fuse box cover or something.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:42 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry guys I seem to have set some hares running. Finally received a call from Porsche Cars Great Britain warranty advisor who informed me that WR04 is an old recall number and my car (June '95) was not involved - she was distictly frosty and not prepared to provide further information. Haven't seen the "Excellence" article yet.

Quick Reply: 993 Recall WR04