993 Forum 1995-1998

Convertible top won't latch

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 03:40 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Convertible top won't latch

Hi guys! Wondering if any of the other convertible guys out there may have a line on this one. I left my top down in the garage for about 3 weeks under the boot (just thought it looked so good!). Went to put it up and everything was normal until it didn't latch (I can't remember if I put my hand up a little to keep it from slamming to the top of the windshield or not). now it won't go down or up and I may be able to hear a motor when I push the toggle but just for a second. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting to see if it could reset. Yes the parking brake is up btw.

Any ideas?
Old 07-15-2021, 01:25 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure if I understood your problem. Check this video or it could be a limit switch. Misalignment of the gears in the gearboxes are unlikely. Or a the shaft has an issue antithesis motor side but in this case one side would not move well at all.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Not sure if I understood your problem. Check this video or it could be a limit switch. Misalignment of the gears in the gearboxes are unlikely. Or a the shaft has an issue antithesis motor side but in this case one side would not move well at all.

https://youtu.be/VMnGfM3I-Xw
Correct (for the top motor), but the gear alignments in the locking motors could very likely be the problem.
Read here under Porsche Cab Top for a description of operation, https://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
Old 07-15-2021, 03:31 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

There are microswitches next to and in the the locking motors which may be having a problem. if they report they are open/closed incorrectly the top will not operate correctly.

See this video for some help. He isn't correct on which models require the engine to be off to operate the top, but everything else he says is correct.

Last edited by CabrioArtie; 07-15-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:55 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
There are microswitches next to
No

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
or in the the locking motors which may be having a problem. if they report they are open/closed incorrectly the top will not operate correctly.
Yes, and that was fully explained in the previous post's link.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 07-15-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:51 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Those videos do a great job of explaining the workings of the top. When I get home this evening I’ll try some more trouble shooting based on some of the info they shared. Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-2021, 07:26 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by andrewjn
Those videos do a great job of explaining the workings of the top. When I get home this evening I’ll try some more trouble shooting based on some of the info they shared. Thanks guys!
If that doesn't find the problem, then it's in the control unit where over 90% of the problems occur;

The connections above the red line need to be re-soldered.
The following users liked this post:
rdad993 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:47 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Yes the parking brake is up btw.
The other input many forget is the oil pressure switch (intermittent), i.e. engine not running.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:31 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Hi guys! Wondering if any of the other convertible guys out there may have a line on this one. I left my top down in the garage for about 3 weeks under the boot (just thought it looked so good!). Went to put it up and everything was normal until it didn't latch (I can't remember if I put my hand up a little to keep it from slamming to the top of the windshield or not). now it won't go down or up and I may be able to hear a motor when I push the toggle but just for a second. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting to see if it could reset. Yes the parking brake is up btw.

Any ideas?
The cabriolet top is complicated and has many moving gears and cables all of which must be perfectly synchronized to operate the top properly. Try some basic troubleshooting. If your top appears to be opening or closing unevenly, stop immediately or you may damage the tops frame. Temporarily put your convertible top into manual, allowing you to close your top. Take your car to a reputable and trustworthy mechanic, not an upholsterer, who has worked on Porsche convertible tops for repair.
Always close your top after use. Allowing your top to remain open for extended time periods is not good for your top to operate reliably, nor is it good for the plastic rear window.
If replacement cables are needed, always buy and install the cables in pairs, and only use genuine Porsche cables.

​​​​

Last edited by Twilightblue28A; 07-15-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:38 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
The cabriolet top is complicated and has many moving gears and cables all of which must be perfectly synchronized to operate the top properly. ​​​​
Actually, the operation is quite simple, once you understand the basic operation as provided by the link in post #3.
Typically, some waste money on unnecessary parts and labor, the result of bad troubleshooting techniques of repair shops.

Here's the wiring diagram. As can be seen, it's fairly simple.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:27 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 525 Posts

Wish I bought a coupe sometimes! Spent about a third of my maintenance expenses on my top the last 22 years on my 993...weak point in the car relative to other convertibles
Old 07-16-2021, 01:34 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by abiazis
Wish I bought a coupe sometimes! Spent about a third of my maintenance expenses on my top the last 22 years on my 993...weak point in the car relative to other convertibles
They all are! Remember, it's mechanical system, where the failure rate increases with usage and time.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:03 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

To the op. Did you get your top working correctly?
Old 07-21-2021, 03:01 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay in follow up. Got the top working again! So I first put electrical tape on the left and right micro switches as above in the video. No go on the latches. They wouldn’t do a thing both when I toggle up and down on the switch on the console. They were frozen apparently in the “open” position. Dash conv top open light was on. I did notice that when I toggle the conv top button down there was a one second electrical motor noise from the top; no movement of the latches. No electrical noise when I toggle up.

I removed the cover from the top to expose the latch motors and latched the top manually with a slot head screw driver. (I’ll post a pic below). The manual screw is in fact a slot head but it is easiest to remove the cover IMO rather than put a screw driver blindly through the plastic access point. Everyone was correct; I felt like the guy in Memphis Belle manually putting down the landing gear at the end of the movie! I finally got the latches in the lock position. I then tried to toggle the top down and viola! : top working seamlessly again. I guess you could say I didn’t fix it, it just started working again….

Old 05-18-2024, 07:29 PM
flyweight
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Top switches stopped responding

My cab top is misbehaving again. Both of the top latch motors stopped latching when I attempted to raise the top.

I did some debugging by keeping the top raised midway (so the fully-up or fully-down limit sensors won't trigger) and taping down both microswitches. However, when I clicked the button neither motor responded.

Does this indicate a convertible top ECU problem? Any other debugging I should do before I remove the ECU under the dash again? Thanks.

Last edited by flyweight; 05-18-2024 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Convertible top won't latch