Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Porsche Parade Concours Win

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 06:05 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Parade 2022 is Kalahari Resorts Poconos Pennsylvania.
The following users liked this post:
mathfuzzy (07-24-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 02:07 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Parade 2022 is Kalahari Resorts Poconos Pennsylvania.
interesting home base option because I hear its polluted with kids due to it being a waterpark.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:42 PM
rg0115
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Awesome, congrats. I was looking for the owner of this car but never did see you. Was really looking forward to talking to you about your car. She looks fantastic.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:53 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 150 Posts
Default A Concours Primer for you all

Concours at the national level is a serious competition. When I began eight years ago I had no idea what I was doing. I just thought I have a nice car, I’m gonna clean it up and put it on the grass. Then they hand you your ***. This is part of the learning process to compete at this level. It takes a car with good bones and many years of learning, preparing, restoring and perfecting to be able to compete. Just like series auto racing, there are multiple levels of competition on the field that you can set as your goal to challenge yourself in competition. This is not for everyone. It is an acquired taste that soon becomes addictive once you get the formula and have some success. You essentially compete against yourself each time and the scorecard of potential points from each judge. Who wins depends on who shows up that day to compete and how well they score overall in their class. Tie-breakers usually default to best exterior score. This is so serious about protests may arise and have a defined mechanism for resolution. Very high overall scores are also recognized with separate award trophies.

There are three basic concours groups competing in a Porsche national event, each with different rules. Preservation, Preparation and Restoration Groups. Preparation Group has several classes also competing, described below.

My car was entered in Preparation Group in which originality is not judged, but rather, preparation, presentation and cleanliness are judged. So non-original and reproduction-but-well-presented parts are allowed in this group as are custom wheels like the BBS E88. This would not be the case in Preservation Group that requires originality as delivered in addition to it’s presentation.

There are three Preparation classes within this group with specific areas subject to judging: exterior and interior (Preparation Street Class), exterior fit, finish, paint and wheels, interior, trunk (including compressor, tool kit and jack, etc) and engine (Preparation Touring

Class), exterior, interior, trunk and engine and undercarriage (Preparation Full Class).

Each car is judged by a team of judges with national or multi-regional experience and a team member is assigned to inspect and score a compartment for a five-minute period. The

same judging team is usually dedicated to the class using the published standards and scoring scheme to minimize variation.

Preservation and Restoration Groups are Full inspections only.

Preservation Full cars must be maintained in their original condition in which the originality must match the paperwork documentation such as the Kardex, Certificate of Authenticity or Munroney Label window sticker. Reproduction parts and mechanical upgrades may therefore be subject to point deduction. Now you know what you can do with your numbers- matching car!

Restoration Full is for comprehensively restored cars that can differ from “as originally delivered” or from the Certificate of Authenticity and have custom options added. However, those changes must be period-correct for originality points. This means the added parts or changed paint colors or interiors were available and could be ordered from the factory for that specific year and model range.

That’s about it. So now when you see someone advertise a car as a concours car, you have the background to ask what type of concours was that?
TheDangerZone (07-20-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 03:01 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed.
There are three Preparation classes within this group with specific areas subject to judging: exterior and interior (Preparation Street Class), exterior fit, finish, paint and wheels, interior, trunk (including compressor, tool kit and jack, etc) and engine (Preparation TouringClass), exterior, interior, trunk and engine and undercarriage (Preparation Full Class).
Thanks for the primer Zed. On the Preparation Full Class, you mentioned they look at the undercarriage. Do they deduct points if the original cosmoline has been removed or does a cleaner undercarriage with cosmoline removed get a higher score?
Old 07-14-2021, 03:39 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Default Preservation vs Preparation

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
Thanks for the primer Zed. On the Preparation Full Class, you mentioned they look at the undercarriage. Do they deduct points if the original cosmoline has been removed or does a cleaner undercarriage with cosmoline removed get a higher score?
Never having competed in full, I really don’t know the answer to that. My best guess is that in preservation the cosmoline should remain but in preparation you can clean all you want.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Default Times x2

We did this with 2 cars in touring here. 1971 911 and the C2S. Former trailered, latter driven 7 hours then cleaned all over again. Same outcomes, 1st place. 😁

The following 4 users liked this post by Zed.:
Dryfly57 (07-30-2021), Kein_Ersatz (07-25-2021), TheDangerZone (07-20-2021), unicorn2 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 04:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
interesting home base option because I hear its polluted with kids due to it being a waterpark.
They are future buyers.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:01 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

WoW that’s amazing congrats!!
Old 07-19-2021, 12:34 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Default Provenance beauty shot

2021 Porsche Parade at French Lick, Indiana. Concours d'Elegance 1st Place in Preparation Touring Class. Standard touring wheels.
Attached Images  
Kein_Ersatz (07-25-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 04:53 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 591 Posts

Nice. Congrats. Just me, but I like the turbo twists on it the best.

Was at the Pocono Parade in 1974- may have to hit it again next year! Could even do it with the same car!
Old 07-19-2021, 06:42 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Default Like this?

Originally Posted by skl
Nice. Congrats. Just me, but I like the turbo twists on it the best.
The mix and match look. Much faster too.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2021, 01:44 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats. I was checking out your car and it looked fantastic. The blue long hood too - two awesome cars you have there. I hope the experience was good for you. I was amazed at how many nice 993s were there, including the red cab that took first place in a different class. The zenith blue cab in the historic display was awesome too.

Enterprise exotics in Nashville did us right with our rental car for the week!
Old 07-24-2021, 10:28 AM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Default Wow

That is an incredible rental. I may have to do that when the Parade is on the west coast. Hope you did the Schnitzelbank tour. Never dreamed Indiana would have such twisting drives with elevations and dips like a rollercoaster.

How did you like the 992?
mathfuzzy (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:26 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed.
That is an incredible rental. I may have to do that when the Parade is on the west coast. Hope you did the Schnitzelbank tour. Never dreamed Indiana would have such twisting drives with elevations and dips like a rollercoaster.

How did you like the 992?
Enterprise Exotics is great. It wasn’t a total bargain, but I thought $1,700-ish for the week was very reasonable. Definitely check them out. The 992 is a sweet grand tourer. It was a pretty basic but decent spec - base 992 coupe with glass sunroof, premium and sport chrono packages. We had a 991.1 GTS and its a familiar experience. Plenty quick, a little big, great handling and a comfortable place to be. There’s nothing about that spec that’s even a little bit raw, which I think leaves it lacking a little unless you’re in the mindset that it’s a GT. And then it’s fabulous.

We did Schnitzelbank on Tuesday and it was a great experience. We ended up having to skip Dalara and IMS on Wednesday - work for both of us needed attention in the afternoon. So, instead we drove the Shnitzebank route again, but just us, and with a little more pace. It was big fun and surprised us too!

Quick Reply: 2021 Porsche Parade Concours Win