Sponsored by:

Whats up with Red?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:21 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!!! Well I probably started this most recent thread with my post yesterday about looking for 993 Cab for my wife (sorry, no red cars).

Why? What is so bad about red cars that she wouldn't want one? Hmmm??? Just what could it be???

Well (snicker)... she's a red head and the color tones between guards red and her hair clash I just love the heck out of her!

As for me, well this is the 73S I sold last year and the GT3 on order is Speed Yellow, bring on the bright baby!!

Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 PM
H. Miller
Racer

Don't own guards red, but love it!
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
solsrch
Pro

Originally posted by ientre9y11
Guards Red is a classic colour. Personally I think it looks better when there is a little bit of black accent...
That's where your cabriolet top comes in, or boot if it is a topless day.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guards red

personally, I love the color. HOWEVER, when I had my Guards Red 88 Turbo Cab, I was followed by the Hiway Control more than once. Never stopped, but followed for up to 15 miles. SOme say the HC are motor heads also, and I'm sure some are, but it's is very unnerving to have a HP purposely follow you. Ergo, i swore off red P-cars completely. I've had a few silvers, black, and white turbos and never had any problems. the red just attracts too much attention for me.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta love GR !!!

Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

Here's my GR
Old 04-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Nice wheels in the first photo, Ray.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:41 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally posted by Mark in Baltimore
I thought racing Porsches seemed to be predominantly in silver or white.
In ancient times, racing was all about nationality and all German racing cars were silver. Since then, most are white because you need a good background for sponsor stickers.

911's specifically have always been associated with Guards Red. Most non-Porsche people even call it "Porsche Red".

I don't have a GR car, but in my mind it's the color most closely associated to the 911, no other color comes close.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

My 964 was GR and in concours shape, with a shine so deep and beautiful my neighbors said it didn't just shine, it glowed. !

However, even as a pretty darn cautious driver I was stopped by cops four times in the year I had it. The last cop, who gave me a warning ticket, said the car "couldn't help but catch (his) eye."

I would NOT let this stop me from buying a GR car if I really wanted one, but IME there is definitely some truth to the "ticket prone red car" theory, and I was just as glad that the 993 I bought was silver.

Just my experience....
Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think part of the comments and taste on an enthusiast site like this come from those trying to distinguish themselves from the stigma that still lingers from the Yuppie 80's when it seemed that every car Porsche made was GR. I guess I should phrase that differently.... when every Porsche that was owned by someone because they wanted to be seen in a Porsche was GR (excludes those that were fortunate enough to own a Porsche and bought it because of what it was vs. what name it had on it. You also notice that red in general has fallen out of favor for most cars (must be the cop magnet thing). The silver/champange colors made popular by the Japanese autos in the US may be part of the reason also.

Red paint from the 80's got a very bad rap because of fading and oxidation problems.

Personally I love GR. I would really like to own one of the 80's turbo 911's in GR.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:58 PM
JonM..
Instructor

LOL it's not because of the cops, or that I don't like the color...it's that EVERYONE seems to have a red Porsche, and if it's not red it's white or black. Some people just want something different, and I think that's why you get people who ask for cars other than those three.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Carreragal
Advanced

I LOVE red too! When I saw my car I drooled! All of the colors are great. I wanted a black on tan but bought the red. It is funny, on my first porsche drive out of 42 cars I had the only red car and also the only 993. It's such a great car, hard not to love any color.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

In the old racing days, there was a maximum weight, not a minimum weight. The Mercedes racing engineers sanded off all the paint to reveal the gleaming sheet metal silver. Of course this then became the Mercedes racing color and the legend of the Silverpfeils (Silver arrows) was born.

As for GR being a common Porsche color, I assure you that it's not a common 993 color! I have been to several meets and more than once, I've been the only GR 993 there, among a gazillion silvers (Arctic or Polar). The only time I dislike GR is when the sun hits it at a certain angle and makes it look more crimson then red. Under more subdued lighting, I think it looks gorgeous. Of course my first choice was Speed Yellow, so I guess I have no problems with visibility.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:18 PM
kary993
Drifting

I love red myself...that is arena red! But seriously, I think all the colors are great! GR is a great color as well!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

Carreragal,
You hit the nail perfectly on its head. This is the point I was trying to extend to those who flat out say "anything but red". I wonder if purple or brown would be considered by those individuals. When people make that statement the way that I see it on threads in this forum, it makes the color sound cheep. Now thats my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Whats up with Red?