Sponsored by:

Anyone know this particular 993?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 04:42 PM
anguilla1980
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
So be prepared to sink another $20k then at minimum on engine work…just saying…. Not sure why you are so hell bent on this particular car then…. there are better examples out there for the money you are about to sink extra on this car.
There are a lot of other upgrades this car has not mentioned in the ad such as new H&R coil-overs, etc. which I feel that presuming the car is solid, make this a good value and get me ahead on what I made have added to the car myself. Plus I won't feel bad doing different body mods vs. a stock example. Given the condition, options, upgrades, 6-spd, a 96+ model, etc. etc. in a color that doesn't bother me, I just don't see the other options on the market you are talking about right now when I look around that appeal more to me. Anyway, enough trying to justify myself on an internet forum lol. But feel free to post links to what you think are a better value at similar specs.

Not every car is trash just because you don't get a compression/leakdown. There are many tell-tail signs those tests may be needed, but if none of them are present, it's not ALWAYS totally justified in needing. I realize you are put off by the modifications to this car and thus pre-judging other aspects of it, but going over the service records and vehicle history, I see no red flags. ...and again, I never said I won't be doing one. I'm still waiting to see if it's justified as of now.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:37 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by anguilla1980
There are a lot of other upgrades this car has not mentioned in the ad such as new H&R coil-overs, etc. which I feel that presuming the car is solid, make this a good value and get me ahead on what I made have added to the car myself. Plus I won't feel bad doing different body mods vs. a stock example. Given the condition, options, upgrades, 6-spd, a 96+ model, etc. etc. in a color that doesn't bother me, I just don't see the other options on the market you are talking about right now when I look around that appeal more to me. Anyway, enough trying to justify myself on an internet forum lol. But feel free to post links to what you think are a better value at similar specs.

Not every car is trash just because you don't get a compression/leakdown. There are many tell-tail signs those tests may be needed, but if none of them are present, it's not ALWAYS totally justified in needing. I realize you are put off by the modifications to this car and thus pre-judging other aspects of it, but going over the service records and vehicle history, I see no red flags. ...and again, I never said I won't be doing one. I'm still waiting to see if it's justified as of now.
I hear you no doubt but the engine is the weakest link. Worn Valve Guides are a known issue with these cars and at minimum $15k for a Top End Rebuild no frills stock application. Been around these cars for 30+ years and trust me …. have a Compression Test and Leakdown Test completed. Labor and parts for a 993 are not cheap unless you have deep pockets. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
anguilla1980 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Dealer recommended that shop probably because they are “in bed together,” Always request an independent inspection whom the dealer doesn’t know. Most people get too caught up in the moment and get fogged leading to mechanical nightmares down the road. Make sure you get a Leakdown and Compression Test!!!
I agree with this.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:43 PM
anguilla1980
Racer

I'm satisfied with the final PPI results and especially with all of the documentation showing tens of thousands in mods and work done to the car (not including the modified bodywork). The undercarriage pics of the car were very telling. It's an honest, well taken care of and documented car with no stories or secrets. No nefarious reasons for the body modifications aside from the previous owners taste.

I pulled the trigger and wired the funds to the dealership. I'll be starting insurance tomorrow (Grundy) and I pay the shipper upon delivery. Grundy will cover it during transport and of course, the shipper is insured as well.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by anguilla1980; 06-03-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:09 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 412 Posts

I think I just saw my first 993 GT3. Cool! Enjoy it if you buy it.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:01 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Oh wow! Congrats OP. If the car checks all the right boxes for you, who cares what others think.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Ramadox
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you want this car so badly? its terrible and the price isn't even good
Old 06-04-2021, 01:25 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramadox
Why do you want this car so badly? its terrible and the price isn't even good
Don't understand why you posted. Either you haven't read the 3 pages of discussion, or you don't give a **** and enjoy putting other projects down. Not everyone wants what the majority seem to want.

OP: Good luck, hope it works out. Btw, the wipers are probably 'parked' on the RHS. This is an easy mod for LHD cars that allow the driver a less obscured view of the sexy front fenders. Search RL and you will find how to do -or- undo.
Cheers.
anguilla1980 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 01:32 PM
anguilla1980
Racer

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
OP: Good luck, hope it works out. Btw, the wipers are probably 'parked' on the RHS. This is an easy mod for LHD cars that allow the driver a less obscured view of the sexy front fenders. Search RL and you will find how to do -or- undo.
Cheers.
Thanks! I appreciate that info. The shop that did the PPI mentioned that, they said it wasn't a relay mod thing that's easily reversible in my case but they changed the actual linkage. They work fine so I'm just going to leave them that way. Long as they work I'm good.

Far as my other question in my original post, the car has its manual and 2 sets of keys, but they don't have the toolkit and I guess there is an air compressor too? Anything else these came with new I'm missing?

Last edited by anguilla1980; 06-04-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:34 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

but they don't have the toolkit and I guess there is an air compressor too? Anything else these came with new I'm missing?
Yeah there are multiple posts on here about the factory contents of the frunk and then exactly what tools were included. I usually search via google, adding 'rennlist' at the end = better than the RL search.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:05 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm satisfied with the final PPI results and especially with all of the documentation showing tens of thousands in mods and work done to the car (not including the modified bodywork). The undercarriage pics of the car were very telling. It's an honest, well taken care of and documented car with no stories or secrets. No nefarious reasons for the body modifications aside from the previous owners taste.

I pulled the trigger and wired the funds to the dealership. I'll be starting insurance tomorrow (Grundy) and I pay the shipper upon delivery. Grundy will cover it during transport and of course, the shipper is insured as well.

Thanks everyone.
Don't worry about all the negatives and what-ifs. If you were to find the perfect car, you'd either be waiting forever or paying 2-3x more.

Part of the fun for me is diving into the car and fixing things and making it mine. I, for one, do not want to buy a perfect car b/c I like to tinker (nor do I want to pay the premium).

Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to see what you do with it

Edwin

Quick Reply: Anyone know this particular 993?