JWKC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These wheels look better for 993 with the RS club body

Old 04-05-2004, 08:29 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

winsome do you track your car? I am in Hong Kong once or twice a year, I would love to check out a track out there. Did not know there was one. In Fanling maybe? Are you Cantonese? I have a similar car with Kinesis K17s and K57s. I personally like the 5 spoke on most cars because of the more "meaty" look. But the BBS and Fikse FM10 on guards red and black 993 looks soooo good. Let us know what you choose. Maybe next time I am there I can check it out in person. Are the prices of wheels competitive enough that I should buy from hk?
C
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2004, 08:41 AM
James Shunt
Intermediate

I don't want to help cause any arguments in your household but I prefer the seven-spoke wheels! Whichever you choose, they'll look superb. Just be very, very careful with kerbs...

James
Old 04-05-2004, 09:13 AM
carrageous
Intermediate

Five. Reminds me of the CGT wheel.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:38 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

winsome,

I live in HK as well. I was wondering which shop did the modifications on your car? Road&Track or Gemballa? which shop did your order the wheels from ? Also, does the seven spoke-wheels come in 17"?

Old 04-05-2004, 10:51 AM
winsome
Instructor

Thanks for all the response. Honestly, I think both wheels have their own characters. It is a difficult decision to make. But since the seven spokes is in stock I am going to try that out first....Hate to order anything and if it doesn't look good then I am going to be stuck!

For CMM, IMHO the wheels prices in HK has to be one of the lowest anywhere....at least 20% as we don't have any import tax. Unfortunately when you buy or order form HK and ship to anywhere else your local tax will apply....so doesn't make sense with all the fuss I suppose....

No, there isn't any track in HK but only in China. The nearest one is in Chi Hai which is two and a half hours away. Most Porsche Ferrari Track days are held over there....Then of cause the new F1 track in Shanghai....not that we can drive there but there is always hope..... :-)
Old 04-05-2004, 11:07 AM
deleonl1
Racer

How about the 7 spoke in gunmetal grey? I think that color contrasts better with dark colors.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:12 AM
jz993
Racer

Not a big fan of aftermarkets on Porsches, but those 7 spokes are sweet
Old 04-05-2004, 11:52 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

One more vote for the 7's here. No contest.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yup.. I agree... I would ONLY consider the 7spoked ones of those 2 initial choices...

I think that other one is too plain and old - out of date.. but I guess that is just me..
Old 04-05-2004, 02:12 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Winsome,

I'm born and raised in HK as well. I remembered that Macao had races (Poon Bing Lit was the pre-eminent racer then, see I justed dated myself).
But I believe the races were held on public roads, ala the Monta Carlo, and not on tracks.

As for wheel prices in HK, isn't it true that most items have low taxes except for the car itself? Also, if one takes delivery in HK, then ship the wheels out as an individual, there would be no tax, right? just more shipping cost and hassle.

Great wheels BTW. I have 5 spokes on my RUF, but I voted for the 7 spokes, as it has deeper dishes.

CP
Old 04-05-2004, 03:03 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- There is no race track in Hong Kong, the closest one is in Zhuhai. The one up in Shanghai is world class and an F1 race will be held there this coming september. There are a few decent roads for driving in HK but not many....there are a few in the New Territories and also Route TWISK. Both pretty dangerous, esp on early Sun AMs as there is a group of Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche drivers who go up there...some are good drivers, some are pretty bad. There are usually a few motorcycle deaths up there every year.

- CP is correct, the Macau grand prix is done on public roads. It is actually a number of races with different classes and also morotrcycles as well. Race is in the fall (November IIRC) and it is one of th most dangerous races in the world as many of the roads are lined with low stone walls (like Isle of Man) and there are no runoffs.

- Except for cars, tobacco and alcohol there is no import duty in HK as it is a duty-free port; there are also no sales taxes although there has been recent proposals to introduce a sales or VAT tax. The issue of buying wheels and parts in HK and shipping to the US is the import duty imposed by the US...sometimes it's charged, sometimes it's not...depends if you're lucky.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

7. It's lighter and looks better too.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:25 AM
sodly
Instructor

I never could find the gallery with more pix of the 5 spokes on the 993. Can someone provide a more exact link... or the pix themselves? I think those 5 spokers look really good. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Michael Elmore
Advanced

Seven spoke.....definitely!

Quick Reply: Which wheels to get, VOTE