Sponsored by:

brighter bulbs needed for front turns and parking

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:42 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default brighter bulbs needed for front turns and parking

i recently put litronics on my 993, and added internal LED's in them for addional parking lights. they look great but make the incadesent turn, parking and marker lights look like a dirty yellow (lenses are good).

i would like to change the bulbs to brighter looking ones, like the LED replacements or halogen

i have been to the import shops looking for bulbs but they didnt have any for our cars

any ideas where to buy such bulbs?

Last edited by dr kenneth e garchow; 04-04-2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:57 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doc..

I can't stand those little lights next to the fogs. I, too, searched high and low for a brighter/whiter type bulb to no avail. I ended up replacing the pitted fog light lenses...and took the little bulbs out. Fogs only and clear turn indicators.

If you find these bulbs in a brighter context....pass along where to get 'em.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:36 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

yes the small bulb next to the fog light is not that attractive when/lit.

i think the cars look funny w/the parking lights on and that is one reason why i added another light in the litronic to fill in the front end when parking lights on

also what color do most use in the turn signal/marker light socket when you have clear lens?

clear or amber?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:43 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

what color do most use in the turn signal/marker light socket when you have clear lens?
i think most states require a amber bulb for the turn signal (or an amber lense)

but.....there are amber bulbs available that have a silver coating. They will not give your new clear lense an orange aura, but will flash amber when called upon. they can be found at your local pep boys-auto zone type places.
some people on the board have done their own silver bulbs by giving the ambers a light coat of silver paint.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:52 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

yes changing the turn/marker light to the clear, but amber when lit, would fix the problem of the bulb looking faded next to the headlight .

now need a fix for the small light next to the fog light that looks like has a bad ground it is so dim.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:08 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a water soluble blue marker pen to color the bulb blue. Takes some experimentation to get just the right amount on so that when lit it appears white.

If you use permanant ink, then you may have problems removing it if you slap it on too thick. But to remove you can "paint" over with marker again and while wet wipe it off or use solvent to remove.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:18 PM
nman413
Drifting

The correct bulb is available at any BMW dealer. I think it's the 10W one that you need. Show them the bulb end and they can get it for you. They werent cheap though, cost me like $20 for it
Old 04-04-2004, 12:22 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

so this bmw bulb is brighter? do you know if it is halogen?
thanks
for the tip
Old 04-04-2004, 04:17 PM
nman413
Drifting

yes and yes
Old 04-04-2004, 05:45 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought parking/turn signal bulbs from a "Ricer" store...bulbs are blue when off and very bright white when on. They were $15 or so and may have been PIAAs.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:52 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by max911
i think most states require a amber bulb for the turn signal (or an amber lense)
Some time ago, on one of the occasions this topic was discussed, I researched about a dozen states & all permitted amber or white front turn signals consistent w/the Model MV Code. I use clear #1157 bulbs w/my clear lenses.

E.g., CA Vehicle Code 24953 (Turn Signal Lamps)
Old 04-05-2004, 02:00 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

related to the small fog light bulb, i discovered that the boxster headlight parking light fits it and it is halogen and looks brighter w/installed than the 993 bulb.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:12 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i would HIGHLY recommend removing the fog light assemblies and put in the RS ducts. why you might ask... well just did a track event and it kept the oil temp real nice & cool!!! i couldn't believe what a difference it made, between ducts and fog lights. Hands down - the way to go.

If you want see a pic, look at my most recent post titled "Thunderhill pic"

Cheers,
Boris
Old 09-23-2004, 02:09 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
The correct bulb is available at any BMW dealer. I think it's the 10W one that you need. Show them the bulb end and they can get it for you. They werent cheap though, cost me like $20 for it

Jauder-

Thanks for the tip. I ordered some bulbs from Autohaus AZ and they were like $6-7 each. Big improvement in the front end lighting.... very white instead of yellow.

For those looking for these bulbs, perhaps you can source them elsewhere for less. This is what I got and they work great!
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2004, 03:27 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

now that this thread is back, i will say that since my last encounter w/993 front end lighting i have also discovered a better solution that just changing the bulbs in the fog lights.

not sure what the RS ducts are(mentioned above), but i put the turbo S ducts in place of the factory fogs, and put silver star bulbs in the duct's position lights, and that gives the best overall front look i have ever seen on these cars, both day and night

Quick Reply: brighter bulbs needed for front turns and parking