Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Speedway in May, be there or be...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default California Speedway in May, be there or be...

a real loser in one of life's great track driving experiences. My neigbor EM and I ran the event this past weekend, 240 minutes of track time. The infield is technical and the front straight and high banked corner leading into the back straight where you may be braking from 135 mph+, is insane. Then off to the infield, more triple fun. Enclosed is a pic where EM let me lead a few laps, what a sport!

Check out http://www.porscheclub.org (POC) or http://www.pcasdr.org for details of the upcoming May eveny. Kary and I will be there for certain. Last time I ran with PCA, this time I am going to run with POC. I want to see how they are driving the track.

You will need a PCA Competition Permit to run with PCA and a Time Trial Liscense from POC to run their event.

Also at the May event, the POC Tribute to Le Mans, POC is running a four (4) hour Enduro.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:01 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Martin,

I never miss being a spectator at the "tribute" event. Is it going to be held at California Speedway instead of Willow Springs this year? Got the dates? A;ways a spectactular event, even just to watch.

I'm planning to take my Porsche to its first-ever track event on May22 at Willow for the Tracquest event. I've resisted long enough... got to try it out. Any tips for me? I can drive the Cobra "*****-to-the-wall" with great comfort at Willow, but the Porsche is a big unknown. I'll be on true street tires (please don't ask me about brand(s)). Hope to see you and your bug-splattered car again.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

If I have any tires left after Tribute, I am thinking about WSIR with TracQuest..hmmmmmmmm
Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

You are doing TracQuest in May? I may have to sign up and come on down. I am already signed up as an instructor for the April event at Button Willow... I see by the roster that Phil McGrath is going to be there, as well as Silver Bullet and Jeff993TT. Should be fun. Why don't you come up to this event? It is a LOT safer to run off at Button Willow than Willow Springs.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Bob,

You wrote, "It is a LOT safer to run off at Button Willow than Willow Springs." The recent PCA Windblown witness has a pic of a 1991 or so Turbo car that was seriously damaged (Not Joe the driver) at Buttonwillow. I am not convinced that Buttonwillow is any more safe that Willow Springs. You do something stupid at either track and it can come back to bite you.

If you work up your speed at WSIR, it can be a very safe track..but of course you can sat that aboutany track. I have done Buttonwillow once, WSIR 20+ times, so I do have a bias toward WSIR.

Regardless of the track, getting out there is the point. Prepare the car without cutting corners, think ahead while on the track, anticipate, listen to your instructors...it will all be good.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Agro1
Banned

Usually if you "go off" it's a result of bad judgement. Bad judgement can get you in serious trouble no matter where you're running...There are certain places on both tracks where I'd PREFER to go off, but what is preferable is not always reality.

Willow is FAST, Buttonwillow is technical and twisty. Both are very very fun, but Bob is right. If you lift in the middle of Turn 8 at Willow, you're in for a serious ride and an even more serious repair bill...
Old 04-01-2004, 01:48 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Martin,

Yes, the point is that we should not be running off the track, but if it happens....

My one experience at WSIR showed a fast track, with large penalties for missing an apex and running off the track. Several of the people there that had seemingly minor runoffs were forced to flatbed due to damage caused by large rocks, big drop offs right off the track surface to the dirt, etc. Button Willow is flat, and does not have the same terrain. I actually enjoyed Willow Springs, and will be glad to go back.

Yes you can damage your car anywhere when you are doing speeds over 100 MPH and leave the racing surface.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I have run ButtonWillow about four times with a couple of different configurations. That is the track where my buddy put his SVT Contour on its roof. While Willow Springs can really bite you, I have a lot more experience there (but none in the TT), and am actually more comfortable at that track. Plus its closer!

So, what's the date and venue for the Tribute?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by viperbob
Steve,

You are doing TracQuest in May? I may have to sign up and come on down. I am already signed up as an instructor for the April event at Button Willow... I see by the roster that Phil McGrath is going to be there, as well as Silver Bullet and Jeff993TT. Should be fun. Why don't you come up to this event? It is a LOT safer to run off at Button Willow than Willow Springs.
Temple
Suwpin
Mooty
DJ
.......will all be there too!
Should be a very large "turtle pond"
Old 04-01-2004, 03:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I pretty sure that Scott Mellor is going to the May22/23 event. He's the one that forced me into going!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:45 PM
kary993
Drifting

I am planning on attending the TracQuest event in April as well. Hope to see you guys there!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:25 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Martin:

Thanks for the heads-up on the time trial at Fontana--I may have to head down to Fontana next month. Unfortunately, I missed registration for the club race DE last month as I didn't realize it was being held this early in the year--I ran it last year in June. However, my schedule is fairly full as I'm planning on going to Laguna with PCA GGR in May and whether or not I go to Fontana will depend in part on whether PCA GGR also runs Thunderhill in May. I like Fontana, although it is a long ways for me. Glad to hear you had a great time there.

Any of you going to the PCA GGR events--like Thunderhill this coming weekend?
Old 04-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Highest Quality Track Time for us in the West...

Harry writes, "Thanks for the heads-up on the time trial at Fontana--I may have to head down to Fontana next month. Unfortunately, I missed registration for the club race DE last month as I didn't realize it was being held this early in the year--I ran it last year in June.

However, my schedule is fairly full as I'm planning on going to Laguna with PCA GGR in May and whether or not I go to Fontana will depend in part on whether PCA GGR also runs Thunderhill in May. I like Fontana, although it is a long ways for me. Glad to hear you had a great time there.

Any of you going to the PCA GGR events--like Thunderhill this coming weekend?"

Aug 20, 21, 22 run the POC annual Make a Wish Foundation fundraiser at Laguna Seca. August is an incredible time to run Laguna Seca.

I am not planning on Thunderhill this year. That is a real drive for me...Willows, north. of SackofTomatoes...very far!

If you want to go fast, the fastest road in the West is no longer Willow Springs International Raceway, it is California Speedway in Fontana. A 993 NA car, in semi capable hands, will be in 5th gear before the end of the front straight, through the banked oval, and will approach speeds of 140 mph before braking to a 55 or so mph left turn into the infield. Here is a real opportunity to see what a fantastic ABS system you have in your car!

I have Big Reds, new rotors, fresh Pagid Black on front, Pagid Orange on the rear...with all that braking, over 100 occurences of braking from 135+ to 55 in three days, and 0 fade. I did have to blow out the drilled holes with some compressed air.

The message, drive Fontana...it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, IMHO.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Agro1
Banned

Martin - What's you exit speed out of Turn 9 at Willow ? I would think that it would be easy for you see 135-145mph on the front straight at Willow...
Old 04-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

My exit speed is about 95 or so in 4th gear. A 1.36:06 is the best I have done at Willow. I think with the new suspension, I could hit the 1:35 bafrrier, mabe slightly better.

I have not had the guts to look down. I do hit 130 on the front straight...I do the same, sometimes better through 8 into 9 before hitting the brakes.

Quick Reply: California Speedway in May, be there or be...