Sponsored by:

Motorsound!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:46 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motorsound!

I purchased my 1995 993 about 6 months ago, the air box had already been replaced with a K & N cone filter, how else can I establish if my car had the motor sound package? Are the tail pipes different or something?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:59 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Gabi,

Welcome aboard!

Most of the time the motorsound option gave new exhaust trims and, more importantly, a revised airbox (distinguished by its chrome air intake trim). The airbox is drilled to allow a better induction noise which you are probably getting loads of with the K&N that you have. If you search on Motorsound you'll see that the threads also refer to another motorsound option that additionally included slightly noisier exhausts. This seems to be quite rare and we are not talking about old-style Porsche sport exhausts that used to sound fantastic (I'm thinking 964 for example). It's just a bit louder.

A lot of the posters on this forum, myself included, couldn't stand how quite the normal silencers were so we have replaced them. A very popular option is the RSR silencer which is in fact a modified stock item that is purchased on an exchange basis. After this there are various after-market options though the price starts climbing rapidly.

Just do search on the forum and you'll find a lot of threads on this subject.

Cheers,

David
Old 04-01-2004, 04:07 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I really want a set of RSR's I have read a lot about them and thats what I am really after, but there is a 12 week wait in europe

I think my exhaust trims are the standard ones, they are small ovals.

I will search the board for more info.

Another thing I have noticed, is that I seem to be missing a snorkel tube, what is it used for?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If you have a fixed wing and the factory airbox, the snorkel is used to pull cold air into the intake. It is not used with the moveable tail.

It actually is a part from the Turbo motor that fits fine on the normally aspirated engines.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the option codes listed on the sticker under your hood. I believe the motorsound option was M159. The motorsound option also came with different mufflers. You can use the option decoder at Robin's Site to see what your car was originally equipped with (and if your car's option sticker has been removed, call porsche and based on your vin they can give you the option codes).
Old 04-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Temple
Look at the option codes listed on the sticker under your hood. I believe the motorsound option was M159. The motorsound option also came with different mufflers.
Not in England. The M159 mufflers were only available on North American cars.

Quick Reply: Motorsound!