Sponsored by:

Yesterday was a wonderful day

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:33 AM
RRLOwen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yesterday was a wonderful day

I discovered on Monday morning that I had a meeting in a town 2 hrs away on Tuesday morning. The weather has been great lately - no more snow, gravel, etc., so I rushed down to get the plates and insurance for my '95 coupe.

The road is a mixture of freeway, city driving, and for a good part it's a twisting Porshe delight. I left early, so the traffic was minimal.

This was my first real drive since selling my '90 about 7 years ago.

WHAT A BLAST!!

It was soooo much better than I had anticipated - Quick, Smooth, Tight - a flawless drive. I had been told that this car was better than the 964, but I was still very impressed with the difference. And that's not to take anything away from the 964 because it was a great car. But this car is simply outstanding. It took the whole trip in stride.

The urge to forget the meeting and just keep driving almost won.

Today I drove back through much more traffic, and that was fun too. I really noticed how other drivers seem to change their driving habits when near a Porsche (there aren't too many Porsches around here). One woman in a Jeep kept tailing me on one portion of freeway. I wound it up a few times to get rid of her, but she obviously wanted to stay with me because each time she eventually ended up right on my tail again. Another guy in a Honda started trying to push me through some curves so I wound it up there too and soon watched him disappear in my rear view mirror.

I have managed to avoid the slippery slope so far with this car but I can start to feel a little movement downward after these 2 trips. Questions pop into my head like: I wonder how much the PSS9's improve the handling?? and: How about a chip just for the hell of it??

Oh well, I can't think of a more enjoyable past time.

Sorry to babble on, but I am not really responsible for my actions right now.

ROwen
Old 04-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ROwen-

Glad to hear that Canada is coming out of hibernation.

I did'nt realize that gravel has a weather phenomenon :-)

I put the top down to do a few quick errands the other day, then got a lecture for doing so with a sinus infection. Had a great time even if it was'nt a 2hr trip.

From what I hear the 95s are the easiest to chip - Steve Weiner is the guru on this mod. I will be approaching the slippery slope later this year as the suspension will need some updating.

You are very fortunate to be in BC - color me green with envy.

I have to agree with what you say about people attitudes when driving near a Porsche. Very strange human nature - sounds as though your Jeep hanger on was looking for you to take the rap on a potential speeding ticket.

best wishes,
Old 04-01-2004, 10:17 PM
RRLOwen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard: The gravel thing is a product of our new and "enlightened" government thought process. Where they used to use sand for winter driving conditions, it has now become more like gravel because that's cheaper, I think. Unfortunately, it's very hard on windshields and paint jobs. I wait for it to get moved to the side before venturing out.

I think you may be right about the Jeep - she probably thought I was a good bird dog.

The weather has been great this year - we had about one day of spring after the 21st and then it went straight to summer. Temp today is 72F.
Of ciurse for you Texas folk, that's no big deal but March here can sometimes still be winter.

ROwen

Quick Reply: Yesterday was a wonderful day