Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Products rip-off...Beware

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Wsp964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In fact are there any traders around the board ?

Thansk

WSP993
Old 04-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, Performance Products is a legitimate operation, with good customer service. A long time ago, PP and Automotion were the only outfits I knew of/used for Porsche parts, short of going to the dealer. Now I know better. I can almost always beat Performance Products prices handily by purchasing from a discount Porsche dealer (e.g., Sunset).

Without the 20% discount, PP is pretty expensive. Though, on occasion, they have something that's priced great. Like power steering racks back in '02 (the price of which has gone up considerably since).
Old 04-01-2004, 10:33 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by viperbob
Porsche may have hedge funds to offset the currency fluctuations in the sales of new cars. This is not true for their parts business. For most of use though we are being effected by HUGE increases in the price of factory parts. Many parts have increased 50% since last year, and with every new shipment from Germany comes another price increase...
Very true...my analysis got side tracked with the mention of BMW because they have been in the news lately with their increase in prices for their new cars across the board and speculation that there could be further increases in their new cars within the next 12 months.

The interesting question will be if, and when, the Dollar strengthens against the Euro will the prices adjust down? My gut says probably not.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally posted by Wsp964
Nile,

are you a trader somehow ?
No, I'm an unemployed engineer/marketing guy. I dabble to support my car addictions :-)
Old 04-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out www.thepartsbin.com and www.eurowebparts.com - super prices. I can't imagine ever buying anything from PP even with the 20% coupon. They should merge with Neiman Marcus - or Needless Markups.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think I just found a source of PSS-9s for about $2K shipped through my connections. They will be new ones with new style hats. I might be able to get 3 sets next week. If anyone interested, please PM me.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:37 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've found fantastic deals with www.europeanautomotive.com myself
Old 04-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Am I missing something?

I keep hearing how the PSS9s are going up due to the strength of the Euro, yet when I check Gert's website, and subsequent currency exchange rate calculator, the Euro appears to have stabilized during the last month.

For example, I was looking into a set of Bilstein HDs & RoW springs at Gert's. At the present exchange rate it's about $1,750 and that price has been sitting there for the past 30 days, or so. Prior to that it had jumped up about $100 dollars to $1,850 when the Euro had increased.

So, I'm curious as to why there is such as significant jump w/ the PSS9s. Thanks.

Rich
Old 04-01-2004, 06:25 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thats a good question..

does it maybe have something to do with warranty?

I hear that gert's are 'grey' market and even though they are new, they won't be warrantied in the USA... so you'd have to send it back to gert for warranty work????

...maybe I'm wrong but I heard somewhere about a lot of people carrying the PSS9s as grey market without a warranty in the USA... Lifetime warranty is how I understand it for those bought though a legit USA authorized dealer.

...and from what I hear, you NEED that warranty because you will have to have work done! ...especially if you club race or do many hard DE track days
Old 04-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FVD and Tweeks are worse when it comes to prices!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After the employment report today the dollar seems to be gathering strength versus other currencies. Wait a week then check your conversion websites so you can save some dollars. I think you/we/all would be wise to wait for NILE to tell us when he lands a job. Then the dollar will really soar!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE CALL MIKE/NILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!especially on 3/31. At least I loaded up yesterday=YESSSSS!!!!!

Quick Reply: Performance Products rip-off...Beware