993 Forum 1995-1998

June 5th North meets South ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:35 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default June 5th North meets South ideas

My buddy Steve_in SLO (Steve) and my self 95993RS (Brian) would like to officially invite you fellow Rennlisters to San Luis Obispo (SLO) county for the inaugural North meets South Rennlist June-Fest.
Gabe the owner of Strasse is willing to donate some fantastic door prizes also.
Here is some food for thought...
Steve and I have very through knowledge of the local watering holes and are also well rounded in the wineries and are willing to help with the planning of a meeting spot for Saturdays event.
We are also pretty adept in the fine art of navigating the back-roads in our county and would be willing to lead some fellow Rennlisters in a nice spirited tour early Sunday morning if there would be any interest....
Also I should note that since we both live here we could share the responsibility of officiating the actual head count of North vs South and rest assured we could never be swayed from an accurate count (Hey where did those come from)
Let me know what you guys think,
Regards,
Brian
ps I am a member they just haven't updated my status
Old 03-31-2004, 05:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Brian,

Sounds like a nice offer. What kind of place is Strasse? Is there a large parking lot suitable for using that as a meeting place?

Rennlister 911/Q45 (with a 993TT) is also in SLO, but has been previously claimed as belonging to the SoCal Team. He hasn't objected, so that means he agrees. Therefore, the legal precedent is established, and both you and Steve are hearby sworn in as SoCal Team members. Take that, Viperbob!

As to the final destination, the poll is steering us toward Cambria. However, I'm open to everything. The fact that we have a couple of "on site" guys really helps the SLO cause. Oh... I'm an ex Cal Poly guy.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Steve,
Strasse is a mail order retail Porsche parts facility in Atascadero (Gabe Szalay the owner was GM of Automotion before they were bought out by Performance) but I don't think that would be a good location to meet due to parking.
There is actually a cool place in Morro Bay on HWY 1 called Taco Temple it is a stand alone facility that could accommodate 50+ cars pretty easily and they have unbelievable food kinda Cali/Mexican cuisine and good beer.
Views of the Pacific and 50+ Porsches while eating Guacamole and drinking a beer....
Other than that I am racking my brain as to where else would be a good gathering spot for that many cars in the middle of tourist season.
Cambria will be mobbed.
There is also a cool Winery called Tobin James in Paso on 46 that would make a good gathering spot but again would be pretty busy on a Sat. in June.
As a local I would say that Taco Temple is a pretty good spot.
I'll post a photo later today of the location.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:41 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Here is also a cool place to stay if ther are those bringing their wives, girl friends etc...
http://www.baywoodinn.com/
Old 03-31-2004, 06:43 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Originally posted by 95993RS
Here is also a cool place to stay if there are those bringing their wives, girl friends etc...
http://www.baywoodinn.com/
Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, dem cheating SoCal'ers

Claiming hapless rennlisters who do not know better
Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Brian,

"Taco Temple". That's just way too funny. Sounds like a great meeting spot. How far is that from Cambria? Its been a while since I've been up there.

How can we cajole Strasse into giving out those door prizes if we don't get up to Atascadero? Will they join us at the meeting spot, set up a table or something and promote their business? Does anybody see any issues with that? BTW, I'm OK with that idea.

That hotel looks terrific. Can you look into a group rate for... uh... i dunno... 10 rooms? Post back, if you don't mind.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:47 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Steve,
My Cohort Steve_in SLO is from NorCal so he might have reservations as to being labeled a socal guy but who knows I ain't gonna speak for him (but who ever gives him the most beer win win out undoubtedly)

Taco Temple is about right in the middle between Cambria 20 and SLO 15 miles will get you there.

As for gabe he will show up for a drive and bring goodies to boot. He really is a great guy.

I know of a few friends that have a couple of bed and breakfast get aways in Paso also so if anyone needs a connection I will pass it on also.

I am checking with the two little get-a-ways in Baywood for a 10 room type of discount.

I will post info as I get it. I couldn't get the photo of Taco Temple today but I will.
It really is a cool place (I had my company Christmas party there a few years ago)
Let me know what else I can do to help.

Brian
Old 05-05-2004, 02:01 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Bump.
So is Cambria the "Official" meeting location for the North meets South?
Brian

Quick Reply: June 5th North meets South ideas