993 Forum 1995-1998

Bumper in RUF shape...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 01:00 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Bumper in RUF shape...

I've been searching for a RUF front and rear bumper for the past few months and was told by RUF Canada that it was no longer being made. "Luckily", I was able to source a used one from eBay and when I received the bumper, it was a "little" more worn that what the seller had advertised. Not having much options, I decided to keep it and called in a favor from my buddy at Precision Porsche (does a lot of porsche body kits) to help me fix it.

The RUF bumper is carbon reinforced fiberglass (basically the shell is fiberglass with carbon fiber backing) so it'll take some time to patch it up but here are some progress pics. Thankfully the owner at Precision also owns a few 993's so he's going to test fit it and make sure it fits perfect before sending it back to me.

"All it needs is to fix a few little scratches and repaint"...right...

I'll post more pics as I get them but in the mean time, if anyone has a WB RUF rear bumper for sale, please message me.

Edwin

Last edited by m32; 03-21-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:42 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 121 Posts

In my own experience, this is a real ruf bumper , and the holes you see broken open, are not broken because of mishandling or age, they are broken on purpose, to let fit the bumper to the body.
I have had one and the bumper is very much larger than the original bumper, and you have to push the RUF bumper edges to the inside, to instal it. So to make the bumper end edges twist to the inside of the car, you cut the hole edges , that you see in pictures, to be able to bend
Is the person from Precision, a real long time friend ???
I had a similar offer , to mend my RUF bumper, but quickly realised the person wanted to make a mold from it
Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
In my own experience, this is a real ruf bumper , and the holes you see broken open, are not broken because of mishandling or age, they are broken on purpose, to let fit the bumper to the body.
I have had one and the bumper is very much larger than the original bumper, and you have to push the RUF bumper edges to the inside, to instal it. So to make the bumper end edges twist to the inside of the car, you cut the hole edges , that you see in pictures, to be able to bend
Is the person from Precision, a real long time friend ???
I had a similar offer , to mend my RUF bumper, but quickly realised the person wanted to make a mold from it
Thanks, thats good to know, i didn’t think about that. They will be test fitting it once it’s patched up so I guess we’ll know if we need to cut the slits back open.

This bumper was beyond the scope (and time) of my local paint/body guy so I asked Tony (owner of precision) to help since he’s the fiberglass master and yes, Tony is a good, long time family friend. I used to help him with online sales but basically stopped 5+ years when my day job got busy.

Edwin

Last edited by m32; 03-21-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, the bumpers are available again per Ruf Germany. The front or rear, can‘t remember, is now made out of a different material.
The following users liked this post:
m32 (06-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Bumper in RUF shape...