Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 07:46 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation OBD Scan Tools

guys,

my car is a 94, and so not OBD II.
Any ideas where I can get an OBD I scan tool from ?

How much does the porsche Hammer cost - are we talking $2k and upwards, or what ??

Ideally I would like a universal job so I can use it on other cars as well (VW, Peugeot, etc).

Finally, anyone got any links to sites that give all the OBD codes ?
If I knew the codes, and the interface details, I could probably make something myself...

Any help gratefully received
Old 06-15-2001, 12:37 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Far as I know, you're stuck with buying the Porsche tool. '96 and up with OBD II can use generic tools.

Want codes? Buy the shop manual; has 54 pages of descriptions of DME troubleshooting w/ fault codes.
Old 06-15-2001, 08:57 AM
John W
Pro

Thanks Ray,

I have the shop manuals, and ****-loads of other books (spent 500 GBP on books prior to and just after buying the car !) :/

The tricky bit though is getting the codes out of the DME/ECU, and lined up nicely on a piece of paper so I can compare them

If I could find details of the interface, wiring, and OBD I codes I could probably make some software to do what I want, but I can't find this supposedly public domain info.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep looking for a cheap second hand one (yeah right !)
Old 06-15-2001, 11:38 AM
DougB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

Check out www.geocities.com/vaginfo/ for some basic info on the ISO9141 (not ISO9141-2) protocol used in these cars.

-doug

Originally posted by John W:
<STRONG>Thanks Ray,

I have the shop manuals, and ****-loads of other books (spent 500 GBP on books prior to and just after buying the car !) :/

The tricky bit though is getting the codes out of the DME/ECU, and lined up nicely on a piece of paper so I can compare them

If I could find details of the interface, wiring, and OBD I codes I could probably make some software to do what I want, but I can't find this supposedly public domain info.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep looking for a cheap second hand one (yeah right !)</STRONG>
Old 06-15-2001, 10:21 PM
Jimmy
Intermediate

John,
check out www.obdii.com. The moderator of the Pre-OBDII forum (Under OBD-II Discussion Forum) should be able to give you more information.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:27 AM
NRK
Advanced

John:

When you learn something on this or find an OBD 1 scan tool device, please let the rest of us know. Thanks
Old 06-19-2001, 08:46 AM
John W
Pro

Hi guys,

thanks for the links, I'll follow them up later.
I have already looked at most of the stuff on obdii.com, but there wasn't anything of help for obd-I, or the manufacturer specific details I was after.
The Vaginfo site looks good though. Hopefully I can expand that to work out how and what the porker stores.

A good friend reminded me that one of our skiing buddies works for Motorola. Guess what he does there ?!?
Yep, engine management and diagnostics !

I'm hoping he will be able to feed me some good info.
Whatever I find out I will certainly pass on.

By the way, I did a search for OBD using a piece of software called copernic. If you haven't tried it, its worth a go.
I found a whole load more info and manufacturers of OBD tools. Funny thing is though, not many can deal with VAG or Porsche

Cheers,
John.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:49 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't obd1 porsches use flash codes like the vw's and audi's do?

Quick Reply: OBD Scan Tools