993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil Filter Wrench for 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 01:18 AM
Jim Williamson
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Filter Wrench for 993

Are two different wrenches needed for the seperate filters. Aftermarket suppliers do not seem to carry them. Anyone know where I can purchase them/part number.
Thanks
Jim
Old 06-14-2001, 09:57 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jim, I purchased my filter socket/wrench from Pep Boys, and after about only so many oil changes it still works fine for me.

Both filter are the same diameter. Just bring your filter and try to match it up with the filter socket when you go to the store.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Robin 993 DX In Atlanta ]
Old 06-14-2001, 10:09 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by Jim Williamson:
<STRONG>Are two different wrenches needed for the seperate filters. Aftermarket suppliers do not seem to carry them. Anyone know where I can purchase them/part number.
Thanks
Jim</STRONG>
In addition to the filter wrench that Robin uses, Pep Boys also sells one that is similar to the strap type wrenches, but without the handle.
You just insert a 3/8" wratchet extension into the pre-cut hole to use it. For filters that are put on REALLY tight, like mine were before my first oil change, this worked much better than the cup style wrench.

Tom
1995 993
Old 06-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim,

I found it easiest to order the German wrench from Phil Anderson at Suncoast Porsche (panderson@automaxplus.com).

Cost about $7, and saved me a trip to the auto store. Might fit better, too. I had four generic wrenches from previous cars, and none of them fit the 993 filters well.
Old 06-15-2001, 12:30 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Different approach than others,to a degree.

For the oil tank filter, believe I have same or similar wrench as others; black blob in right side of photo. Sez "Taiwan" and "o48" inside. It's a hair under 3" in diameter measured across the inside from flat to flat.

The silver wrench on left I use to access the engine filter. With this one, I can remove the filter without even perturbing the oil cross-tube (believe that's what it is) that blocks direct access to the filter. Wrench is a Craftsman model 46952. [img]null[/img]
Old 06-15-2001, 08:19 PM
Jim Williamson
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of your responses. I'll try and find the cheap pep boys wrench and the craftsman wrench (probably would be easier to order the Porsche one though :-).

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Wrench for 993