Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad wear light is on. Is it serious?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 10:03 PM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake pad wear light is on. Is it serious?

The light stayed on when I started the car in the morning going to work. But when I started it again during lunch time, the light did not stay on this time. Is it just a one-time thing? Or should I have it checked out? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:18 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Hmmmm - that's curious, the light is activated by a circuit being worn away (at the brake pads), so there is no way it should come on ..... then go off again Once the circuit at the sensor is worn through, that's it !

Maybe one of your pad sensors (at the strut end) is loose ?

Doesn't sound like anything to really worry about - but I think I would want to take the wheels off and visually check condition of the pads and wear sensors - and check they are plugged in at the strut end etc.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:55 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Isn't there a sensor in the brake fluid reservoir, may be this caused what you saw??
Old 06-14-2001, 12:20 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jimmy:
<STRONG>The light stayed on when I started the car in the morning going to work. But when I started it again during lunch time, the light did not stay on this time. Is it just a one-time thing? Or should I have it checked out? Thanks.</STRONG>
Were the pads by chance wet when the light came on? When I wash my car, I hose out the holes in the rotors (helps prevent squealing). This made the light come on one time. I always go on a short drive after I do that to dry everything out, but the light didn’t go off until I turned the car off and back on.

What I haven’t mentioned so far is that my pads were 99.9% (ok, I’m exaggerating) worn when this happened. I knew I was getting close, but this was the final clue to stop putting off that brake job that I knew I needed. I would recommend that you check your pad thickness, and see if you are in the same boat.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:48 PM
mick
Racer

I had the same thing happen on my previous P car, a 91 964. Turns out the sensor had a loose wire. It was a pretty simple fix and has not happened again. Dont know if sensor is same on 993 as 964 but in my case it was a very simple fix. As a side note the mechanic told me when I took the car in that the sensor is set to go off in time to give you a chance to get the car in to change pads and it is not in any immediate danger of doing any damage. mick

Quick Reply: Brake pad wear light is on. Is it serious?