Sponsored by:

Windscreen Creak - Desperate Measures

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 05:03 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Windscreen Creak - Desperate Measures

After tying all the usual fixes - the rope, silicon lubricant and Pedro's Ice Wax, the most I ever got without having to reapply a lubricant was two weeks.

Today I decided to save my money and try some Mobil 1 instead. In order to apply the oil, I used something called a bulb syringe. Those of you with small children will know that this is used to clear nasal congestion in small children (and now also used to apply lubricant to your creaky 993 windscreen). Picture below.

I sucked up the Mobil 1 using the bulb syringe and then lifting the windscreen seal with my finger, I slowly applied the oil under the seal. It took about 10 mins to do around the whole windscreen.

I'm slightly dubious about the fact that oil is corrosive (dino oil anyway), so made sure to clean any residue from the paintwork. Although, I'm pretty sure that since Mobil 1 is fully synthetic, it should be ok on the paintwork and the seal itself.

Took the car for a short drive and the creak is gone. Real test is to see how long it stays away for. I reckon it should be better than the Pedro's as Mobil 1 is slightly more viscous and less likely to evaporate.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:04 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice tool for the job Ken....with a 4year old and 4month old boys...I have a few of those hanging around the house.

My last application was wd-40 and was somewhat messy as the discharge from the straw attached to the can was at times uncontrollable.

Although..my last spray lasted about 3 months .....time for a new one, albeit with your method.

Thanks for the tip !!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Labatt
Instructor

I did the Mobil-1 thing about a year ago to my badly creaking windshield. It's still nice and quiet (knock on wood).
Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

You know, that bulb syringe never woked for sucking the snot out of my kids nose. I'll use it for this though, thanks.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Labatt
Instructor

I just want to point out that there are two kinds of bulb syringes out there. You can buy the ones from the store to suck the snot out, but they have thick ends that just don't fit in the kids nose - however hard you push. The other kind you can pretty much only get at the hospital when your kid is born. I remember for my second kid making sure we were real nice the orderlies at the hospital. We walked out with about 10 of the good bulb syringes. OK, slightly off topic...
Old 03-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Randy M
You know, that bulb syringe never woked for sucking the snot out of my kids nose. I'll use it for this though, thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:24 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just want to point out that there are two kinds of bulb syringes out there. You can buy the ones from the store to suck the snot out, but they have thick ends that just don't fit in the kids nose - however hard you push. The other kind you can pretty much only get at the hospital when your kid is born. I remember for my second kid making sure we were real nice the orderlies at the hospital. We walked out with about 10 of the good bulb syringes. OK, slightly off topic...
My wife and I are due in about a month and did some shopping the other day. We looked at the ones in the baby section at the store and she agrees with you that they won't work for that - she is a Neonatologist (pediatric specialty) and is planning on picking some up at the hospital. Just an agreement with your previous comment.

I'll try to the Mobil1 as well when the creaks start again. The Pedro's Ice Wax spray has dong great for me over the last 6 months, but as the temps start to rise, the creaks will come back.

Thanks...
Old 03-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

We don't have those bulb syringe things in the UK, we have suck it out with a flexi straw from McDonalds!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:53 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will some Mobile1 applied with the bulb syringe help get the snot out?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:54 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Roygarth
We don't have those bulb syringe things in the UK, we have suck it out with a flexi straw from McDonalds!
EWWWWWW

Quick Reply: Windscreen Creak - Desperate Measures