Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Tip to manual conversion. Am I crazy? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1235151-tip-to-manual-conversion-am-i-crazy.html)

motobri 02-01-2021 10:56 PM

Tip to manual conversion. Am I crazy?

I know there's a detailed thread with someone who's done this but can't seem to find it.
Please post the link if you know where it is.

Ever since I sold my (cosmetic) RS clone , I've been hunting for a donor car to build another 993 RS/street/track car.
Other than clutch & trans, pedal & shifter assembly, ECU, & speedo, what's other parts are needed and/or current cost estimate to do a manual conversion?

I found a good opportunity on a 96 tip car w/ 99k on the clock.
I'm thinking if the conversion can be done for $15-20k, I'm still ahead vs buying a driver manual car for $45-50k. Not sure that's even a real number these days!
And I build it with proper gearing, LSD, etc.

The car is close to me and has been sitting for a good 5 years. California car since new & has very detailed records.
The body is straight but the paint is shot as a lot of the clear has peeled away.
Interior on the car is in good shape.
This build, I plan to remove sunroof so roof delete and paint work w/b part of any build.
Also, I am not concerned about purist future value.
Wish it was a 95/OBDI for obvious reasons but like that the car has detailed history records.
And the sick part of me enjoys the sourcing/collecting parts and build process. So I ask again, am I crazy?

TheBen 02-01-2021 11:09 PM

How much is the 96 tip in supposedly good condition. Lots of stuff to be done at 99k miles. My $0.02 without hearing the rest of your answer - take your time and find a real manual 6speed. You are not going to come out "ahead."

Gbos1 02-01-2021 11:12 PM

Sell the Tip and buy a real manual 6sp. Not even a question.

boomboomthump 02-01-2021 11:57 PM

He didn't buy it yet. He also implied the car is under $30k if my math and word problem comprehension is correct.

INTMD8 02-02-2021 12:05 AM

I don't know what the cost would be but if it falls within the range of your figures I think it's sound logic for what you plan to do.

Brig993 02-02-2021 12:22 AM

Based on what your saying it sounds like the right car for your project. Nothing wrong with a tip conversion especially if it makes sense economically for you - I looked at one a Paul Miller Porsche 5-6 years ago. Seller had it documented and did all the right work I think he had receipts for 15-16k at the time. As far as value in the end it will always be less than an original 6 speed car but if well documented and done right it shouldn’t be much.

As they start to turn 25 years old I’ve been looking at importing a car in a rare color from Europe or Japan with an tip and doing the conversion myself. Please keep us posted if you do it.

budge96 02-02-2021 01:07 AM

Certainly a viable proposition , particularly if not overly concerned with future original based value stats.
With the limited available 2WD inventory it may in fact become a necessity , only outlier could be obtaining a six speed manual trans ...
because of the Singer revolution these boxes have become in limited supply , north of 10 k easily , Bert

hoggel 02-02-2021 01:10 AM

Don't do it! :) Here's one view of the swap:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-anecdote.html

aircooledpurist 02-02-2021 02:03 AM

Why in the world would you want to do THAT? So now you know what I really am thinking.

Obviously there are a lot of very talented, knowledgable guys on the forum that could think their way through the process. Seriously, to do it right it would appear that you will be molesting the car in it's entirety, doing an incredible amount of work, and taking a chance on the end result. It will cost you 50% more than you expect (just speculating) and the finished product will probably be something less than you imagine.

Why not just be patient and search for the right car? I have a '95 OBDI car and I LOVE it.... and when I set out on my search I was looking to find any year BUT a '95. To me it is about the car having some integrity. Find a decent manual at a price you can deal with and sort it out. That alone is enough work for a couple years worth of time and money, lol. Good luck, sorry to be the pessimist of the bunch.

pp000830 02-02-2021 12:37 PM

Yes, see the above comments.

motobri 02-02-2021 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by hoggel (Post 17205289)
Don't do it! :) Here's one view of the swap:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-anecdote.html

That's the thread I couldn't find. Thanks!

cgfen 02-02-2021 07:47 PM

So many nay-sayers, but how many of "them" really wrench?
OP, give it a shot.
Sounds like an interesting project if you have the time and enthusiasm.
I've converted several MOPARS both directions, much easier on them though since no ECU and vastly simplified systems.
Have fun.

911F1 02-02-2021 07:49 PM

I would think you would be way over budget. $10 to $15k for a used G50 6speed. Plus gearing, rebuild and LSD.
Thats another $15k plus misc parts. $30k for your dream transmission plus the tiptronic car. If you're doing a lot of the labor
yourself it could work out for you. Good luck either way you go!

azander 02-03-2021 12:46 AM

I had my non-sunroof 964 converted. IMO totally worth it especially if its unique in some way such as color, non-sunroof, use RS spec parts etc etc

boomboomthump 02-03-2021 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by 911F1 (Post 17206946)
I would think you would be way over budget. $10 to $15k for a used G50 6speed. Plus gearing, rebuild and LSD.
Thats another $15k plus misc parts. $30k for your dream transmission plus the tiptronic car. If you're doing a lot of the labor
yourself it could work out for you. Good luck either way you go!

Or you can buy one right now for $16K which has already been rebuilt.