Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 08:15 PM
David T.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the respond.

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<STRONG>
Andial's weighted flywheel makes software corrections unnecessary so the main consideration should be fuel quality in your area. Given that you have the same Buffalo-Urine grade of premium fuel that we have here in Oregon, 92 octane, this is the main criteria in determining what the mapping would be for your car. I would assume that you have the stock rod bolts and valve springs so that the 6750 RPM cutoff should be retained.
</STRONG>
Yes we have the same 92 in NorCal area. And yes I still have stock rod bolts.

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<STRONG>
The MAFS and oxysensors will make most of the
corrections needed for the airbox modification and muffler changes.</STRONG>
So, does this mean that stock chip is enouph and I should not bother??? Could you, please, clarify.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi David:

Happy to clarify,......

What I meant to say but wasn't clear is that your engine management system, the Motronic, will accomodate the small mixture and airflow
changes from the mufflers and airbox mods you have made and no major software changes are needed to allow for those things.

This is not to say that your car would not benefit from a good chip; its my experience that these cars do make measurable and substantial gains in torque, horsepower and just as important; throttle response, from responsible & proper chip tuning. Certainly, the threshold of detonation from more aggressive ignition timing maps does change and requires 92 or better octane fuels. This keeps the engine's knock sensors from excessive and abnormal activity which would result in a net loss of performance.

FWIW, we do make 3 basic timing maps here:

West Coast street gasoline: 92 octane
East Coast street gasoline: 93-94 octane
Race gas: 100-104 octane unleaded

The race gas chips also offer rev limits set considerably higher than stock when the proper engine hardware is installed. There are substantial gains in power when the engine can be safely operated at 7000+.

Hope I've done a better job of explaining myself this time,.......
Old 07-07-2001, 04:11 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Question

'96 OBDII 993:

These are the first of the OBDII cars and the first Varioram engines offered here in the USA. These DME's had a one-year-only internal architecture that used 2 proprietary Bosch devices to perform the OBDII duties. Bosch no longer makes nor supports these DME's and they are now superceded to the 97-98 ones. Those 2-chipsets were not EPROMs and required replacement to be programmed and they are no longer available.
These '96 OBDII cars require the later DME to be chipped or the Program piggyback unit. The immobilizer codes must be set by Dealer into a newer DME to retain that feature. We can disable that function in software for racing purposes.
Steve, I had planned to add "The Program Piggy Back Unit to my 96 996 (I have the unit already it simply needs to be installed).

I am not sure I properly undertand your statement above. Do I need to return my car to the dealer after installing the piggy back computer to have the immobilzer codes set? Or can I just bring it over to you at Rennsport to do it?

p@

Quick Reply: 993 Engine Performance Upgrades