Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Engine Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 04:08 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 244 Posts
When you take out your factory airbox cover and drill it with many 1/2" holes (and I mean many), plus the option of removing the air-intake snorkel, this equates to a "drilled-out airbox" Highly recommend it, BTY (on a 95 993 at least). Sound is exceptional (better than Powerflow which I had on for 1yr), and better performance (yes, hard to believe)

As for your second question, if you purchase Fabspeeds Supercup mufflers, these are basically straight pipes off the catlytic and make an awesome (and loud) sound. The "insterts" are baffles that Fabspeed provides to, so called, ease the noise factor (hear it doesn't really matter - these suckers still roar..). Real nice setup, if you can hack the noise, in addition to your neighbors not calling the cops on you. Cheers!
Old 07-01-2001, 04:31 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

Thanks Oleg, where can I find a picture on the web of a completed "drilled out" airbox?
Old 07-01-2001, 05:01 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pat, go to E.J.'s Airbox Modification.

The mod replicates the Motor Sound drilled airbox with fewer, but larger holes & no "chromed" plastic intake.

(photo credit to E.J.)
Old 07-01-2001, 05:18 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Thanks Dan you get a 5 star from me today!!!

Thanks a million.

p@
Old 07-02-2001, 12:16 AM
993 Zoom
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that there is not much you can do to improve the 993...I tried the PowerFlow, and had it taken off because it not only didn't add HP, it caused an annoying buzz which subconciously caused me to shift at lower revs. The B&B mufflers sound great, not sure if any increase in power. And finally, I was told you could not chip the '95 993....any truth to this?
Old 07-02-2001, 12:33 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, you can change the chip in a 1995. The year that's hard to do is the 1996.

Rick
Old 07-02-2001, 02:59 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

What makes the 96 more difficult than the 95? Is it any more difficult to put a piggyback ECU on the 1996 instead of the chip? (Rob of NJ feel free to chime in with your experience using the piggyback ECU and things I should be aware of).
Old 07-02-2001, 04:51 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few questions:
Once you get these modifications done - are you able to get your car serviced at an offical Porsche centre? If so do you tell then about the modifications eg the airfilter/exhaust/chip?
Can they tell if your car has been chipped?

Also do you have to tell your insurance company about these modifications? Presumablly they will make the link that performance = speed = danger = a way to extract more money from you/us.
Tito.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:14 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'95 cars should be running OBDI and '96 and later are equipped with OBDII. My M3 was an OBDII and I used a piggyback Eprom that basically bypassed the factory settings. I had it removed when it was sold.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:30 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes the 96 more difficult than the 95? Is it any more difficult to put a piggyback ECU on the 1996 instead of the chip? (Rob of NJ feel free to chime in with your experience using the piggyback ECU and things I should be aware of).

Still hoping to get an answer on this question. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller...Bueller...
Old 07-06-2001, 01:59 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Question

quote:

Is anybody able to answer the above questions???
Old 07-06-2001, 02:39 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts
OBD II makes chiping 96 and up more difficult to deal with. Also makes transplants more difficult.
Old 07-06-2001, 03:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi:

May I just offer some things about chipping the various 993's that might be helpful?

'95 OBDI 993:

These are the last Porsches to have their chip in a socket. Its a 28 pin DIP device and its easy for the owner to swap another one in and out.

'96 OBDII 993:

These are the first of the OBDII cars and the first Varioram engines offered here in the USA. These DME's had a one-year-only internal architecture that used 2 proprietary Bosch devices to perform the OBDII duties. Bosch no longer makes nor supports these DME's and they are now superceded to the 97-98 ones. Those 2-chipsets were not EPROMs and required replacement to be programmed and they are no longer available.
These '96 OBDII cars require the later DME to be chipped or the Program piggyback unit. The immobilizer codes must be set by Dealer into a newer DME to retain that feature. We can disable that function in software for racing purposes.

My demo ECU has this disabled so I can plug that DME into ANY OBDII 993 to show what our chip will do.

'97-'98 993:

These Varioram cars use a different DME than their predecessors that employ a single, flashable EPROM. These cars can be reprogrammed by flashing the chip after removal. One can also use the Program piggyback unit.

Whatever you do, make sure than the stock rev limiter is retained at 6750 RPM unless the rod bolts have been upgraded or aftermarket rods have been installed. Also, make sure that the ignition timing maps will be compatible with your local fuel octane ratings under ALL conditions. It might not ping when its cool outside, but its a different story under hot, high-load conditions.

Hope this helps,
Old 07-06-2001, 04:12 PM
David T.
Advanced

Steve - it is now time for me to chip my '95 993. What is the best way to do this?

If it meters here are my upgrades:

1. BMC Air filter and Motor sound Cover
2. Fabspeed Supercup Muffler
3. RS Flywheel with Andial's weight mod
4. RS Gear Ratios

Thanks for any pointers.
Old 07-06-2001, 07:18 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by David T.:
<STRONG>Steve - it is now time for me to chip my '95 993. What is the best way to do this?

If it meters here are my upgrades:

1. BMC Air filter and Motor sound Cover
2. Fabspeed Supercup Muffler
3. RS Flywheel with Andial's weight mod
4. RS Gear Ratios

Thanks for any pointers.</STRONG>
Hi David:

Sure looks like you done some great upgrades; especially the RS gearing and flywheel.

Andial's weighted flywheel makes software corrections unnecessary so the main consideration should be fuel quality in your area. Given that you have the same Buffalo-Urine grade of premium fuel that we have here in Oregon, 92 octane, this is the main criteria in determining what the mapping would be for your car. I would assume that you have the stock rod bolts and valve springs so that the 6750 RPM cutoff should be retained.

The MAFS and oxysensors will make most of the
corrections needed for the airbox modification and muffler changes.

Quick Reply: 993 Engine Performance Upgrades