Airbag check?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 05:27 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airbag check?

Does anyone know which of , if any of, the routine services include an airbag check as per the sticker on the inside of the glovebox lid? Do I need to ask for this to be done separately, and what does this check involve?
Tito.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:21 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tito
According to Porsche's maintenance schedule ( in my 1996 manual), there is an "air bag scheduled maintenance" after 4, 8, 10 and then every 2 years, from the date of manufacture shown on the safety compliance sticker on the car.

My 4 yr air bag "service" was just a line item on the bill & a note in the maintenance book. I don't think anything was done other than (maybe) an inspection.

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Dan 96C2 St.Louis ]
Old 06-11-2001, 08:06 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan, Did you have to ask for this to be done or was it carried out as a matter of course?
You see I haven't asked, and have no evidence of it being carried out. I have only used an OPC, but they don't tell me what they do in any detail.
Tito
Old 06-11-2001, 09:17 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Tito,

Upon purchase of my 993 recently, I took my car in to a dealer to get any and all pending TSB items or other recall items taken care of. I GUESS they pulled up the car's records and based on year of model, etc. advised me that I would need airbag service in about 6 months or something like that as far as I recall. Since I was there for two or three minor items of that kind (belt pulley update, an annual service, brake and oil service), I told them to complete the airbag service and they charged me 0.6 hours or US$51.

I do not think that all dealerships will remind you about it or atleast that was my experience. I suggest that you ring them up and have them fax you the details of your year 4 service - it cannot be more than a couple of visits. Of course, personally, I am apprehensive about them doing anything that is not preventive or remedial as I believe in "less is more" due to the increasing lack of attention to detail that I observe at service facilities. Unless they are detail oriented, sometimes these kind of service issues create more problems in my experience. I also have no idea if this airbag service is a liability avoidance issue or not (best efforts etc. etc.). Still, you do not want to regret NOT doing it. Thus, best to get it done as advised.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Ran ]
Old 06-11-2001, 11:31 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ran, I agree in the less is more- incase they mess it up. But I just dont' want to be involved in a head on collision and the only thing going pop being my head against the steering wheel, and not the airbag
Regards Tito
Old 06-11-2001, 02:19 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tito
My P dealership suggests the need for the air bag service whenever a car is in around the 4 yr mark.
Mine was done in conjunction w/30k service which was the next reg service after 4 yr.

Quick Reply: Airbag check?