Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best leather conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 11:48 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Great thread but just when I got my head to stop spinning with regard to leather conditioners and settled on Griots' Leather Rejuvenator and Griots' Leather Care, this comes along. Just finished treating the Acura's leather for the second time this year.

I'm far from a leather expert/car detailing expert, but I really love how easy the Griots stuff is to use. The Rejuvenator goes on easily and is more "oily" and a bit more viscous than the Leather Care stuff. Both smell really, really good and enhance the leather aroma (no chemical odor to either one), making the car feel sumptuous.

Still, I'd be open to trying different stuff once the Griots is gone.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Your leather looks to be in excellent condition, so I'd suggest Obenauf's as it is a superb conditioner. There will be several opinions here but I have tried most products available and have stuck with Obenaufs - https://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Leat...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Nick, any fussiness with Obenauf's? I used to use Leatherique but disliked the messiness and overall process. How does Obenauf's smell? How long have you been using it?

What are your thoughts on Griots' offerings versus Obenauf's?

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I use Leather Masters Cleaner and Swissvax Conditioner. I've converted all of my friends to Swissvax Conditioner from what they've been using. It's expensive but worth it. Their cleaner, even the standard version, is a bit too strong which is why I use Leather Masters.
Cool, never heard of Swissvax. What's the process and how does it smell?
Old 01-01-2021, 12:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,084 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Great thread but just when I got my head to stop spinning with regard to leather conditioners and settled on Griots' Leather Rejuvenator and Griots' Leather Care, this comes along. Just finished treating the Acura's leather for the second time this year.

I'm far from a leather expert/car detailing expert, but I really love how easy the Griots stuff is to use. The Rejuvenator goes on easily and is more "oily" and a bit more viscous than the Leather Care stuff. Both smell really, really good and enhance the leather aroma (no chemical odor to either one), making the car feel sumptuous.

Still, I'd be open to trying different stuff once the Griots is gone.

Nick, any fussiness with Obenauf's? I used to use Leatherique but disliked the messiness and overall process. How does Obenauf's smell? How long have you been using it?

Cool, never heard of Swissvax. What's the process and how does it smell?
That's a great question, I was actually trying to figure out what it smelled like after you asked and I had to Google it to give me some ideas of how to describe it. Someone said it smells like petroleum, another said it smells like WD40. I think WD40 would be accurate, but it does have a WD40 mixed with deep/rich scent to it. It doesn't smell like Zaino Z10, which literally smells like leather. But my friends that used Z9/Z10 switched over to a cleaner of their choice then Swissvax Leather Milk in place of Z10. Once you start using it, the smell is something you definitely want the inside of your car to smell like and it does leave the leather looking really nice. It's not a miracle product especially for the price, $60 for a smaller 250ml bottle, but it's very good. Figure that should last year a year or two, even on a full leather car. But probably closer to 2 years.

I've used some of their waxes as well. They're really solid, although quite expensive also. Currently have CQuartz ceramic coating on my GT3 that the previous owner had applied by a shop, but I'll be switching to Swissvax once it wears away. I just prefer waxes on my weekend cars. Lots of people use Zymol for wax too with good results.
The following users liked this post:
Mark in Baltimore (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply! This may get worse than an oil thread.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:31 PM
albin99885
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob4
Is that Chestnut Brown or Boxster Red interior? Love the combo, especially the leather dash
Its boxter red- thank you!! I love it too.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:20 AM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Ha Ha Ha! Can only have come from a long time purveyor of this forum...
The following 2 users liked this post by mdude:
aircooledpurist (01-02-2021), Mark in Baltimore (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:04 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 275 Posts

Obenauf's is about as straight forward as it gets - apply, let it soak in for a while and then buff off the excess with a terry cloth. Its smell is a mix of wax and leather and quite similar to the griots once applied.

I like the Griots 3 in 1 product as a quick cleaner, though I use Obenauufs a couple times a year on all the cars to keep the leather soft and supple.
Mark in Baltimore (01-03-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:58 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 253 Posts

Love Griots products as described here. Smells great, easy to use and does a great job. I've been using this in my car for about 20yrs and my seats look and feel great. Family also loves the smell. Highly recommend.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:11 AM
Sigs993
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by albin99885
Its boxter red- thank you!! I love it too.
I swore it was chestnut from the photo! Great looking car.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:10 AM
monacoDK
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts

I've historically found Zaino Leather in a Bottle and Gliptone Liquid Leather to be among the better smelling for my European cars. I also have a friend that buys bottles of Coach leather goods/purse conditioner and has used on his Porsches, Aston Martins and Maseratis and seems to do well.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:26 AM
albin99885
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys will do some research on all these products. I def don't like the shiny look so having something that looks more matte and fctory is my cup of tea
The leather is boxter red interior. It does look like overall good condition but I will upload more pics when it arrives.

Detailer is going to do a paint correction prior to ceramic coating.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:26 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,084 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I agree completely. Everyone has a favorite. As long as someone finds what works for them, they enjoy the user experience and the results, that is what matters.

Regarding the other question regarding ceramic coating, I typically will use the same brand maintenance product for a ceramic coating. I've used CarPro reload both without a ceramic coating and on top of ceramic coatings and it works well. I would recommend it.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Obenauf's is about as straight forward as it gets - apply, let it soak in for a while and then buff off the excess with a terry cloth. Its smell is a mix of wax and leather and quite similar to the griots once applied.

I like the Griots 3 in 1 product as a quick cleaner, though I use Obenauufs a couple times a year on all the cars to keep the leather soft and supple.
Nick, thanks for that info! Will have to give that stuff a try.

We just used the Griots rejuvenator on a leather living room sofa, and itss made a good portion of the house smell like leather. Love it.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:58 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 276 Likes on 185 Posts

Leatherique. After the first couple of uses, leather stays soft for several years so I only redo it every couple.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 01-03-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats the best leather conditioner