Sponsored by:

update

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Gibo993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about the vauge answer,

But my clutch has this very symptom, a new salve cylinder was installed, which fixed a clutch hanging problem but left this strange feeling in the pedal travel.

I have been told that it is rust on the shaft? in the clutch you need to get into the clutch to sort it, at this point you may as well replace all the clutch components.

Not very technically corect discription but hope you understanfd what I mean.

Cheers
Grant
Old 05-17-2002, 12:22 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember there are two causes and two fixes to the hanging clutch pedal problem.

The one most often mentioned is the slave cylinder. It seems the bushing around the push rod coming out of the slave cylinder wasn’t given a permanent lube at the factory, or the lube washes away, or something. This causes the squeaks, or scratchy sounds people mention. The easiest way to hear this is to push/release the clutch with the engine off and the driver door open. Lean out a bit and listen under the car. You can hear the squeak. This lack of lube apparently also causes the push rod to not return all the way into the slave cylinder, which in turn does not push fluid up to the master, which in turn does not return the pedal all the way to the top.

I replaced my slave cylinder, and it solved both the squeak and hanging pedal problem. However, the top inch or so of pedal travel felt like “free play” to me. You could push the pedal down an inch with your fingers. While this didn’t cause any problems, it felt weird, so I tried the second fix to the problem.

The second fix is to swap out one of the levers in the pedal mechanism. There is a TSB for this fix, but not for the slave cylinder problem. The TSB is entitled “Improved Clutch Pedal Kinematics” or something. I was hoping that the new lever arm would eliminate the inch of free play in my pedal, but it didn’t. It’s better now, but not 100%. Still, I’m glad I did it, as it’s Porsches’ approved fix for the hanging pedal problem. I haven’t had any problems since I’ve done both of these fixes.

Tom
’95 993
Old 05-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Randall G.:
<strong>Hi Mark,

Did you replace your slave cylinder so many times because your pedal was notchy, or some other problem? Or, just to try to get rid of the click/stretching sound?

My slave cylinder has only been replaced once, back in '94, when the car had some 40k miles. Even then, I didn't replace it because I had a notchy pedal. I didn't like the way the car was shifting .... I've since learned it was just normal aging of the gear synchros.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I replaced it so many times because of the sounds. I didn't want to take a chance and live with it because I thought it would lead to more failures down the road. It was free to me, though, so I didn't care too much about the # of times.

My pedal sticks a bit at the top. I am still waiting until I am home for more than a day to fix this per Robin's instructions. I know my protective "boot" is torn and may be letting dirt in to cause this.
Old 05-17-2002, 02:49 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too had a squeeky and hard to push slave cylinder and it also prevented a smooth take off from first gear as the slave cylinder would cause "ratcheting" action when I try to ease the car from a dead stop - this happened mostly when the car was warm and not cold. When I had it replaced by an independent garage that services hi end cars including lots of P-cars they have never heard of this problem - they thought the creeking clutch noise was caused by either weak or broken pressure plate fingers. After I insisted upon them replacing the slave cylinder my problem went away and my clutch action is very smooth.
Old 05-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
----- an independent garage that services hi end cars including lots of P-cars they have never heard of this problem -----

That was a common response from most mechanics, simply because no one have ever heard of a clutch slave cylinder fail the way they do on the 993s. Which makes it perfectly logical for the mechanics whom have not heard of this problem to respond this way.

Quick Reply: update