Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 3 spoke steering wheel vs AJ USA 3 spoke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 03:09 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts

--here is a link to a picture of the older Techart Porsche based wheels
--a Atiwe based new Techart wheel ...mmmmm....thick!
--some Gemballa wheels
Old 03-25-2004, 03:13 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Suwipin
Steve,

FWIW I've just installed the RS steering wheel in my car and I like it a lot

Pin,
That looks awesome!
I have been thinking about that same wheel.
Are you still using the grey beast on the street? Are you concerned about lack of airbag? and Is the wheel thicker than the stock?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:17 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Phil

I really like the wheel a lot, much better than the 4-spoke stock wheel (IMHO).

It is thicker than the stock wheel and a little bit smaller (in diameter).

I still drive the car a lot on the street. I was told that since I have a 6-pt harness, I should not worry too much about the lack of airbag.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:21 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Suwipin
Hi Phil

I really like the wheel a lot, much better than the 4-spoke stock wheel (IMHO).

It is thicker than the stock wheel and a little bit smaller (in diameter).

I still drive the car a lot on the street. I was told that since I have a 6-pt harness, I should not worry too much about the lack of airbag.
You will be at button willow in april, I will check the wheel out then.
Plus I hear, we may have a certain "droving" instructor there!!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:08 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Steve, I have the AJ USA wheel, it's thicker, smaller, and sportier than the 996 wheel, but that's just MHO. I also like the location and operation of the horn buttons. Reasonable minds and tastes will differ. You can check out my wheel this weekend at the Rennlist gathering, where you'll probably see a variety of other aftermarket wheels as well.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:23 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

AJUSA all the way.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:23 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Steve,

I love my AJ-USA wheel and it just looks "right" with the 993's unintentional "retro" interior. It just looks like it is the SW that Porsche should have put on the car in the first place.

I think David is correct, that this was the optional SW for the 993's. I think the 996 SW is attractive, but too modern looking.

Also, the location of the horn buttons are PERFECT. Of course, then you'll have to add the Euro trumpet horns.....

The crest is a nice touch, but I hated the way it looked with the sticky double sided tape. The crest kind of stuck out from the sw. I peeled it off, cleaned it up and glued it on with a thin layer of black silicone glue, properly positioned and taped in place over night to dry.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:24 AM
carrageous
Intermediate

Default Cleaner Look

Steve,

From a PURELY visual point of view, the 996 wheel is cleaner looking, IMHO. There seems to be a lot of visual busyness in the cut line top and bottom on the AJ USA wheel.

But that's purely subjective and they both look nice. Don't see how you could go wrong.

Dain
Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,

I personally like and got the 996-3 spoke myself. Since it's Porsche OEM, the gauges are not blocked by it's size. I'll attach a pix below.
Now, if my car is track only, I would have gotten the Trek MOMO to match my interior.

Also the 4 spoke you saw in classifieds is mine. I'll take offer on it. I'm planning to leave the ad there for 1 more week for rennlisters then I'm putting it on ebay.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:04 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Carrera Mike - your 993 is morphing into a 996 (steering wheel, shifter boot, wheels).
Old 03-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Steve,

I have the 996 wheel and will be at the meet this weekend. With John there, you'll be able to do a straight comparison and make your decision based on seeing and trying them in person. Btw, I have cashmere interior (I'm assuming your Polar Silver has black) but the black wheel matches the black dash really well.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

This post is so funny for me! Thanks everyone. I'll read a post where someone says the AJ USA wheel is purrrfect (John in DC - nice look!) and I'll think - "that's the one!" They'll rave about the horn buttons and thick padding and I'm sold, ready to call AJ USA when...

a post or 2 furthur down, someone will say they have the 996 wheel and it doesn't block the guages as much and looks smoother and I think "No, wait a minute, THAT'S the one!"

Then flip flop back again 2 posts later. I can't wait to see them in person this weekend at the Meet and Drive to feel them for myself.

OT - My wife just brought home 2 Chanel purses last week from saved up money (ok - it's the "equal spending money" from my cars that she gets!) so buying a steering wheel and maybe a 996 aluminum shifter and emergency brake is fair game for me this month! How can women spend $700 on a tiny little pink Chanel purse and $1450 on a black Chanel purse that looks like it walked out of a biker bar? And she complains about my car stuff! I don't get her, I just love her. I'm sure she thinks the same about me.

It's all good.

Steve
Old 03-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

If this is the same wife whose picture has been viewed 10x more than your car, I'd say she's worth it!

ps. When do we get to meet her?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by nota_troll
Carrera Mike - your 993 is morphing into a 996 (steering wheel, shifter boot, wheels).

Now if I could just fit the engine J/K, I love the aircooled with 30 years of renovation on it.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

"ps. When do we get to meet her? "

Down boy, down.... (hehehehe)

Steve - I just got my 996 wheel & bag from Cory at planet911 and it is a take off with new bag. The wheel is perfect and looks brand new. And it was $650. Dealer price for the same with PCA % was $770.00.

The 996 wheel is one piece without a hub, IIRC, doesn't the AJUSA require a hub? Just a thought. Also, as Mike Capp added, the crest on the AJ wheel has to be glued on. The 996 crest in "recessed" in the airbag and is metal. Looks great.

Quick Reply: 996 3 spoke steering wheel vs AJ USA 3 spoke?