Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:04 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you, Zaino (993 pics)

Hello all,

Just thought I'd finally share some pictures with everyone. This is my first Porsche that I purchased about a month ago, and although I've wanted one every since I started driving ('84), I had no idea that I would also be joining such a great online community. You guys are awesome. I've spent many hours lurking here, and I'm currently trying to figure out a way to get paid for doing it. (Any ideas? )

Shine brought to you by Zaino, which I highly recommend.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

2 more...

Old 03-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Looks really good Paul. Did you use a pc?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

Very nice! Just love freshly waxed black vehicles. I'm really going to have to try Zaino, seems to be popular with just about all the european car enthusiasts websites.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:17 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

pc....pc....did I use a pc....

I used a [P]ersonal [C]omputer to upload the pictures, but that can't be it. Hmmm.

Damn - I give up. What's a pc? If you're asking if I used an random-orbital polisher, no. Although I bought one (a Porter-Cable from amazon.com), I decided not to use it and did everything by hand. Not all the surface scratches came out, but I have a really hard time complaining about the overall end result.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:45 PM
KeithR3
Pro

PB,

Zaino does not recommend using a random orbital polisher with their product. Elbow grease is the way to go with Zaino. Been a Zaino user for a year now and would not use anything else...! Below is my car Zaino'd

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/kr...ccormick_5.jpg
Old 03-24-2004, 06:08 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very nice picture, Keith.

>> Zaino does not recommend using a random orbital polisher with their product. <<
Exactly why I chose not to use it. I bought the polisher before I discovered Zaino. Luckily I was able to use it on my wife's Honda CRV so it wasn't a total loss.

I am also a drummer, btw. Been playing practically since birth, and have been in many different bands, but now I just play on my own for a bit each day, and I'll probably be the headlining act in my spare bedroom for the forseeable future. :-) About a year or so ago I finally talked myself into buying a set of Roland V-Drums. What an awesome kit - my Yamaha Recording Customs are currently in the closet. I can practice any time day or night now - even after my wife has gone to bed!

Paul
Old 03-24-2004, 07:16 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by KeithR3
PB,

Zaino does not recommend using a random orbital polisher with their product.
Sal Zaino also doesn't (or at least didn't) recommend using microfiber towels to buff Zaino off, but I have better success with MF than 100% cotton.

I know of some individuals that apply Zaino with a black finishing pad using the PC with incredible results. The PC lets you apply Z in very thin coats.

That said even if you don't want to use the PC with Z (I don't either) you can still use the PC for the surface prep prior to using Z. The PC does an excellent job of getting rid swirls prior to using Z. I find the Menzerna polishes great for this because they don't contain any fillers or oils that will effect the bonding of Zaino.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:00 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, after reviewing MUCH more material on www.autopia.org, I use the grey foam pad to apply Zaino (10 coats now), and then use microfiber to buff off. The foam pad lets me use about 30% less product (after the first application each time, as the foam absorbs a little). I use a much smaller foam pad by hand for the hard to reach places. Cuts application time in half, and really lets you spread it on thin. Thin is really the key to making it so easy to use.

FWIW, Here's my approach: JPS adventures with Zaino & PC
Old 03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Beezr
Addict
Rennlist Member

JPS, wow, what a write up... How long do you spend on the entire process? And how long do you go between applications? (And what's "normal"?)
Old 03-25-2004, 01:21 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

JPS - incredible write-up. I may have to try out your method - my car really shines BUT you can really see the surface scratches in the right light and I'd love to try to make them less visible.

Please humor me and tell me what PC stands for. I know it's the random orbital polisher but I suppose I'm just dense.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:39 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

iv'e tried zaino #1 and #2 and frankly i think mother's is better or just as good i think ...... i like the longevity of using carnuba wax.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

PC = Porter Cable
Old 03-25-2004, 08:57 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by ksjcorpus
iv'e tried zaino #1 and #2 and frankly i think mother's is better or just as good i think ...... i like the longevity of using carnuba wax.
If you like the look of a carnauba better than Zaino I completely understand, however, there is not a carnauba out there that will come close to lasting as long as a sealant like Zaino. There are some of bad things that one can say about Zaino, but lack of durability and longevity is not one of them. Zaino is one of, if not the most durable and long lasting products currently on the market.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:06 PM
KeithR3
Pro

PB,

I would love to own a set of Roland V Drums. I'd love to be able to play along with a CD and the V drums thru a headset. Right now V drums are in the 4K range. Lets see V Drums or BBS RS-GT's hmmmm!

As far as Zaino. I use Microfiber towels even though some say not to. Reason being, it is very very difficult to find 100% cotton towels, I hear that some manufacturers put the 100% tag even though they are not 100%. The MF towels are pretty consistent with the quality and I'm very happy with the results.

Good luck and keep on drumming! BTW, which bands do you still drum to?

Quick Reply: Thank you, Zaino (993 pics)