Sponsored by:

Aasco Midweight flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:33 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by unicorn2
Going back to the OP comments... I asked about going to mid weight flywheel for my stock 95 C2. Build date in Sept 94. The person I asked was Jeff at Rothsport. He said dont bother with a mid weight if I am going to go with the expense. He told me to go with the LWF and if I have stalling issues he would fix it. Id assume a chip.

I had the LWF installed in Spring of 2020. No issues seen until the outside temps dropped below 50 F. Not sure why the temps made it more common.... Its now a bit annoying but will take back to Rothsport so they can adjust it when time allows. Would I do it again yes? yes!!!
Hmm.. The temp making a difference is strange. I've heard of the A/C making a difference. I spoke with Patrick Motorsports to see if they had a midweight kit.
They said their kit is already basically midweight. That its not that much of a difference in weight. A few lbs. The big difference is that they do a rotational balance
on their kit. My mechanic has never used the Aasco midweight flywheel. I would rather him use parts that he's done a ton of jobs with before. So, I've changed my mind.
I'm going with a lightweight kit and crossing my fingers that my mechanic will work it all out. I need a clutch anyhow, so why not give it a shot. I'll keep my old parts.
My car isn't a daily, its a fun weekend canyon carving toy. I think the lightweight flywheel will suit my needs.
Keep you guys posted...

https://patrickmotorsports.com/produ...64-993-rs-lwck

Last edited by 911F1; 12-22-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:56 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I consider the RS flywheel to be mid weight. If you can overcome the stalling problems with the 95 you won’t regret going RS over mid weight.

My track Miata has twin 5.5” Tilton clutch. Now that’s lightweight, it revs like a motorcycle!
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (12-24-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:14 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
Hmm.. The temp making a difference is strange. I've heard of the A/C making a difference. I spoke with Patrick Motorsports to see if they had a midweight kit.
They said their kit is already basically midweight. That its not that much of a difference in weight. A few lbs. The big difference is that they do a rotational balance
on their kit. My mechanic has never used the Aasco midweight flywheel. I would rather him use parts that he's done a ton of jobs with before. So, I've changed my mind.
I'm going with a lightweight kit and crossing my fingers that my mechanic will work it all out. I need a clutch anyhow, so why not give it a shot. I'll keep my old parts.
My car isn't a daily, its a fun weekend canyon carving toy. I think the lightweight flywheel will suit my needs.
Keep you guys posted...

https://patrickmotorsports.com/produ...64-993-rs-lwck
Steve Wong’s chip is supposed to stop stalling issues with LWFW’s on 95’s
911F1 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 02:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Keep your original flywheel on hand just in case the idle is an issue or you simply find it to be too noisy.
I really don't understand what compels the decision to replace the flywheel on a street-driven car.
For me, new struts are a big improvement and so is replacing the brake hoses with braided ones.
All the other slippery slope stuff seems questionable to me.
Andy
Porschelarry (12-23-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:11 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Andy
Call it a slippery slope or whatever: I am "improving" my car by fitting a lwfw. Obv our definition of improvement can and for an interesting world, should differ.

I considered a mid-weight but there were not as many reviews etc so then I decided to risk lwfw. Glad I did - it adds a little more response, a little more character - moving in the right direction for me.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:49 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Keep your original flywheel on hand just in case the idle is an issue or you simply find it to be too noisy.
I really don't understand what compels the decision to replace the flywheel on a street-driven car.
For me, new struts are a big improvement and so is replacing the brake hoses with braided ones.
Andy
It's quite simple - the responsiveness of the engine is significantly improved.

The only real trade off is some increased noise - assuming you have a post '95 car. Obviously, '95s have their own issues with idle instability.

Personally, that trade-off with increase noise is very much worth it to me on my '98. The improved responsiveness was not subtle or hard to feel. It changed the character of the car in a very positive way, IMO. I'd argue it's one of the best improvements I've made.

We all have different tolerances of what's acceptable in a street car. I'm sure my car is way too raucous and uncivilized for most people. For me it's great -- I already have civilized cars in the garage and this one is meant to be the little bastard that I blast around on the weekends. So far, so good.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:49 AM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Andy
Many of the slippery slope upgrades are inspired by the parts that came on an RS such as The Goldenrod, Lightweight Flywheel, RS Engine Mounts, RS Uprights, Reinforced Engine Carrier, Heavier Sway Bars, Stiffer Bushings, Big Reds. I think all of these will improve the car, though it may be less civil on the road.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:58 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

Received my car back. I'm happy to report I haven't experience any stalls. When the rpm's drop
near idle it does do a little dip before it fines its happy place. Nothing annoying though. I tried it with the
A/C on and I didn't notice a difference. I agree that this mod is a noticeable one. The car accelerates quicker.
Throttle response feels quicker and the rpm while blipping for match revving is awesome. I've always loved
watching how fast Carrera GTs rev. This is the closest feeling I'll get to that. No regrets. The car produces two new
sounds now, which was expected. The gear backlash at low rpm's and the noises the flywheel produces when the clutch
isn't engaged at idle. Some nvh was introduced with the RS 85a transmission mount. All of this ok with me. Loving the new
found rawness of the car. The guys at Pro Motorsports in Burbank did a great job. Really stoked!

Last edited by 911F1; 01-18-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Aasco Midweight flywheel