Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire rub help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:13 PM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 993 C2 has some rubbing issues with 17s 8s and 10s but I think I have the wrong offset on one of my sets of wheel. I have 3 sets of Kenesis wheel all 17 8s and 10s some rub and some dont. I am thinking about selling some of them to go up to 18s. The car is totally slammed and has tons of negative camber and the fenders have been rolled. If I go up to 18s what size, offset should I run. I would like to cram as much tire in there as possible. I also have big reds so I need spacers for the set that rubs. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I have 3 more sets of wheel I might off as well so I could get one set with Streets (for rain too) one set for Kumhos and one set for Hoosiers. Yea thats the ticket!
I have a brand new set of Kenesis that would be perfect if you dont have big reds, anyone interested?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey CMMTracknut,

Are you sure you want to go to 18's? I seem to recall that the price of 18 inch track tires are a decent amount more than 17's, and they don't always have as many size options. I think that's why the previous owner of your car had so many 17 inchers.

That being said, if you are interested in selling a set of your Kinesis rims, I might be interested.

Sorry to change the subject of the thread.

Jason
Old 03-25-2004, 06:22 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Re: wheel rub

Originally posted by David in LA
Probably a longshot but you may want to measure the wheels and the offset. Most likely not the case, but errors in assembly happen with everything....good luck.
I agree ... thanks. Will try that tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I don't know what the offsets are yet but I found out my camber is at -1.3. Is this not enough? I thought any more would be pretty hard on tires for street applications.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:46 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i had -2 in the rear and that was not enough. had to move it to -2.5 to make it work...

it is really easy to change rear camber. you don't have to a complete alignment. so just have the shop dial in a 1/2 degree at a time until no rub.

just my experience...
Old 03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Boris Teksler
i had -2 in the rear and that was not enough. had to move it to -2.5 to make it work...

it is really easy to change rear camber. you don't have to a complete alignment. so just have the shop dial in a 1/2 degree at a time until no rub.

just my experience...
Hi Boris,

What has been your experience with tire wear and such a significant neg camber. I was under the understanding that neg 2 or greater really destroyed the tires pretty quickly. I do about 98% street driving. Any thoughts?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by akolodesh
I do about 98% street driving. Any thoughts?
Then, keep the alignment specs as close to factory as possible. I would stay within -0.5° in front and -1°10' at rear.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:48 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the inside edge wears much faster than the rest of tire has been my experience. i do a fair amount of autox and some DEs so i want the negative camber.

Cheers,
Boris

Quick Reply: Tire rub help!!!!!