Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME mounting orientation change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 08:57 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DME mounting orientation change?

I recently purchased a set of Cocomats for my car, and found that the driver's side doesn't fit due to interference with the DME connector. Given how well the mats fit otherwise, this struck me as odd.

I did a quick Google search and it appears the 964s and early 993s have the DME mounted with the connector facing the front of the car, and somewhere along the line the DME was flipped so the connector faces the rear. Since mine faces forward, the connector sticks out and keeps the mat from sitting flat.

When they flipped the orientation of the DME, is the Motronic itself physically different (i.e. the connector would also need to be flipped so the harness can still be routed from the driver's sill)? Or can I somehow reconfigure mine to match the later cars? I'm hoping there's something I can do to get my DME out of the way so my new mats fit.

Note that this isn't Cocomats fault in any way, I had no idea this was a thing until I dug into it. I'm sure it only effects the very early build cars (mines June 94).

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:24 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Are you sure the mat is placed forward enough, somehow I can't see a mat extending under the seat to the point it hits anything there?
If positioned correctly maybe return the mat and order one intended for a 964? Doesn't the maker specify Make/Model and most importantly Year.They should know what fits and should be happy to exchange the mat for you.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 12-16-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

I bought and installed Cocomats last year and there is no issue with fitting. Based on your description though, my connector isn't facing forward.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

TG,
After looking at Chuck's posting may be the mat you have was cut improperly and is just too long.
Andy
Old 12-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Thanks for the replies, I believe this issue is related to early vs later 993s and how the ECM is orientated. I've attached a couple pictures to hopefully show what I mean;

My old mats had a relief on back edge to go around the buldge from the front facing DME connector;

Below are two photos I found on the net, depicting both DME orientations;

Old 12-16-2020, 12:38 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Looks like if you have an early 993 with the DME facing forward, you need 964 floor mats to fit. I've reached out to Coco Mats to confirm that their 964 pattern has this relief.

I'm wondering though how they flipped the DME around for later 993s. The DME must be physically different, as if I just turn mine around the connector would need to enter from the passenger side. They must have flipped the connector orientation in relation to the DME when they made this change? I may be able to move my DME back using different mounting holes, however I'll lose two of the studs.

I'm in Canada so shipping these back for modification to add the relief is a PITA for both parties, was hoping turning the DME around was easy but looks to me like the they must be a different DME to facilitate this.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:05 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

To me, now seeing pictures it looks like the added aftermarket metal accelerator peddle facia pushes back the carpet just enough that the rear edge lays on top of the Ridgid original carpet hump. Looking at the issue over all one needs to consider if any further action is really required.
Andy
Old 12-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an early 95 (Jan 94) with the same Coco mats as yours and they fit correctly. I also have an aftermarket gas pedal. The main difference is I removed the carpet pieces before installing the mats. I see no reason for them to remain in place to suffer more wear and tear. I’m 100% happy with the Coco mats.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:28 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

You have aftermarket floor mats on top of original mats. Take your original mat with hump out and problem solved. I have an early 95 and no issue with mat placement.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:38 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
You have aftermarket floor mats on top of original mats. Take your original mat with hump out and problem solved. I have an early 95 and no issue with mat placement.
A representative with Coco Mats said their mats are intended to be placed on top of the existing carpets (not talking about the removable Carrera mat).

That hump is there to protect the important electronics under the seat so your heels or anything else doesn’t accidentally disconnect or damage something. Don’t wanna accidentally knock your DME loose while driving!
Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Ahhh, I considered that removing the base carpet panel would allow the mat to fit, as it could be tucked under the DME connector that way. I always thought these were intended to go on top of the carpet, so that the rubber nibs on the bottom have something to grip. I guess the carpet at the edges (the part glued to the tub) is enough to keep the mat secure?

So it looks like if you have a later production 993 with the DME facing rear, these mats will fit on top of the carpet. If early style with DME facing forward, the under mat has to come out.

Alternatively, I'm quite confident that 964 pattern mats would fit the early 993s on top of the carpet. They appear to have a relief around the DME;

The following 2 users liked this post by Top-Gun:
notabot (12-16-2020), pp000830 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 11:41 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
I'm hoping there's something I can do to get my DME out of the way so my new mats fit.
Thanks.
Inspired by the Cup Car, I relocated the Motronic from under the seat to the rear footwell. If you don't use the back seat, it's an deal location that eliminates any interference under the seat. It also largely eliminates the risk of water damage.

Relocated the Motronic out from under the seat

To the rear footwell behind the seat, like the Cup Car

The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (01-02-2021)
Old 12-17-2020, 11:49 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by notabot
A representative with Coco Mats said their mats are intended to be placed on top of the existing carpets (not talking about the removable Carrera mat).

That hump is there to protect the important electronics under the seat so your heels or anything else doesn’t accidentally disconnect or damage something. Don’t wanna accidentally knock your DME loose while driving!
Yeah I hear you but I’ve removed several of these DMEs. They’re not easily displaced/disconnected.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:59 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
Inspired by the Cup Car, I relocated the Motronic from under the seat to the rear footwell. If you don't use the back seat, it's an deal location that eliminates any interference under the seat. It also largely eliminates the risk of water damage.
I see, yes instead of figuring out how to make a Coco-Mat fit on top of your carpet, just rip out the carpet, padding and all the nasty glue reside for a clean look!
Works for me! ;-)
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 12-17-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:24 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

For those with 95's that removed the under mat in order to allow the Cocomats to fit, how did you handle this weld stud which secured the undermat?;

It protrudes quite a bit above the padding, holding the mat up and potentially damaging the rubber backing.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: DME mounting orientation change?