993 Forum 1995-1998

Headlight/Fog Light Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 05:54 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecurry
..... the things I do for you guys - I had to go out for a drive on quiet country roads, and take a few snaps. I was parked at the time of taking the photos - notice the detail in the (poor) road surface

There is no photo massaging here - this is how it looks.

Tore's HIDs 35w plus Morimoto - full beam and dipped - look at that cut-off = No dazzling of oncoming traffic.

Wow, looks like hedgerow country. Are both the HID projector low beam and high beam reflector on at the same time?

If so, what bulbs are in the high beam reflector unit.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:54 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Wow, looks like hedgerow country. Are both the HID projector low beam and high beam reflector on at the same time?

If so, what bulbs are in the high beam reflector unit.
Yes both pairs of bulbs are 'lit' in the photo with no cut-off... but the high beam bulbs may as well be missing, as they add such a tiny amount of illumination compared to the 'open' beam from Tore's HID.

To answer your question, the full-beam bulbs are a half-decent halogen with the same light 'range' as the HID (is it 4300k?), just so they look the same..... not that anyone is looking, if they value their eyesight
Old 12-16-2020, 06:48 AM
ch3tman
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 85 Posts

It is a while ago, but basically they do fit into the ROW headlights with the levelling motors, but you need to slacken-off, not undo, some of the internals in order to install the new projectors.
I also think my projectors were v7, and are Morimoto on v8 now?
Drop me a PM on ...orangecurry@hotmail.com so we don't clutter up this thread with ROW details!
Many thanks. Good spot: whilst the LHD versions are indeed on v8, RHD kits still seem to be v7 (you can edit/remove your email address if you like ).

Yes both pairs of bulbs are 'lit' in the photo with no cut-off... but the high beam bulbs may as well be missing, as they add such a tiny amount of illumination compared to the 'open' beam from Tore's HID.

To answer your question, the full-beam bulbs are a half-decent halogen with the same light 'range' as the HID (is it 4300k?), just so they look the same..... not that anyone is looking, if they value their eyesight
Your photos demonstrate their performance very well - thanks for posting! Yes, Tore's HID are 4300k and he also offers 6000k - I think the latter gives a slightly cooler/blue tinge.
Final question did the added boost from the Morimoto kit change in any way the colour/temperature output of Tore's 43000k HID kit? Really looking to avoid that dazzling blue aftermarket look many kits give.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:54 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 265 Posts

Short answer - no.

I have Tore's 4300k, and on dipped-beam 'all' the new Morimotos do is clarify the image and throw it further - I have no measurements for this - just an impression of before and after. You can see further, but the cut-off is razor-sharp and does not dazzle anyone. They pass the MOT every year as well. So that's a double improvement - I noticed no change in colour.

The big, big improvement is when you flick to full-beam.
The following users liked this post:
ch3tman (12-20-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 04:57 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

It seems the Morimoto projector's advantage as far as high beam performance is concerned derives from a more pellucid glass for the lens than the OEM part and perhaps improvements in the parabolic reflector as well.
The low beam advantage is derived from the shutter to control low beam cut off.

I've been looking at LED H1 bulb performance and the benchmark is the 55 watt Halogen H1 which legally in Europe can produce no more than 1782 lumens (spec is 1550 lumens +/- 15%), while in the USA the spec is no more than 1622 lumens (spec is 1410 +/- 15%). So, all things considered, there is a H1 Halogen bulb swing of 1198 to 1782 lumens depending on whether the bulb is at the bottom of the USA spec or top of the European spec.

I am pretty sure this difference would be noticeable in service.
M. Schneider (08-01-2023)
Old 12-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Goose 993
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts

Is there a guide to installing the high-beam splitter? Does it just connect to the stock high beam male ands female plugs?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:05 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goose 993
Is there a guide to installing the high-beam splitter? Does it just connect to the stock high beam male ands female plugs?
Go here, scroll down and click on the "Install Guide" button, a PDF will download https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...993?quantity=1

Basically the solenoid for the shutter slaves off the high beam voltage when the high beams on.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:52 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Turbo s ducts/fog lights with LED lights is an option for those that want LED fogs

Old 12-19-2020, 11:04 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 489 Posts

Perhaps I missed it but are the Morimoto projectors required to do an HID conversion?

When I bought my 993 this year, the seller never mentioned anything about an HID conversion. I do have some sort of projector in there, whether aftermarket or stock (Litronics??). When I removed one of the headlights one day, I opened it up and to my surprise I found Tore's HID kit installed. I didn't really know what to look for as far the projectors. Reading this thread has me wondering if someone installed Morimoto's along w/ Tore's HID kit or if I have the Litronic projectors?

I've not looked into the topic of headlights much, so I wasn't even aware enough of what to look for. The only reason I even realized I had Tore's HID kit was that I happened to be on his site the same day and recognized the kit from the pictures.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:16 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 134 Posts

The halogens were also projectors.
The following 2 users liked this post by HalfGerman:
boomboomthump (12-19-2020), M. Schneider (08-01-2023)
Old 12-19-2020, 12:25 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Ah, okay.

If someone has (or can point me to) some pics that would help show the differences in the projectors, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Edit:

I found a pic I snapped back in March when I realized the car was retrofitted with HIDs. From what you can see in this pic, it looks like it has OEM projectors and not the Morimoto's. You can see the differences between the OEM projectors vs Morimoto's (specifically around the back of the housing where the bulb inserts) in their install instructions: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...c3be514221c185

Last edited by boomboomthump; 12-19-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-19-2020, 12:56 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 134 Posts

As far as I know, the lenses are the same. Looking into the headlight through the lens, the projector will not show any difference either.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:35 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Ah, okay.
I found a pic I snapped back in March when I realized the car was retrofitted with HIDs. From what you can see in this pic, it looks like it has OEM projectors and not the Morimoto's.
That's the bergville conversion, their name is on the sticker. Works with OEM projectors.

I think they've updated recently, so current version may not be exactly the same.
https://www.bergvillfx.com/categorie...kits-and-lamps
boomboomthump (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 01:47 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Yes, I knew that part. I mentioned above that I spotted it once I saw the sticker.

My question was whether I had the Morimoto projectors or OEM projectors (confirmed now they are OEM).
Old 12-19-2020, 04:32 PM
rgupta250
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So I thought I’d update everyone on where I landed on my lighting upgrade project.

I have decided to convert my low beam setup to the Morimoto mini H1 v8 projector len with Morimoto HID bulbs/ballasts. I went back and forth on which HID bulb/ballast to buy: Tore vs Morimoto. While I love the ease and simplicity of the Tore install, I ultimately went with Morimoto’s modular and higher quality (based on my research) HID system. The only down side of Morimoto’s HID setup requires the ballasts to reside outside the headlight housing and the installation of relay wiring connecting the left and right headlights.

As for the high beam, I explored all LED/HID options available and came to the conclusion that there are no viable solutions in the marketplace which work for the 993. Also given that I was replacing my OEM projector with the Bi-Xenon Moritmoto projector lens and installing the High-Beam splitter, I realized that the high beam would be of very little value. The high beam splitter enables the solenoid on the bi-xenon projectors to open and close thus allowing to widen the beam pattern to include the high beam area.

Last by not least are the front running lights in the fog light housing (the bulb next to the curved part of the housing) which run when you turn on your parking lights or your regular headlights (low beams). I found a pair of matching 5500K light temperature led bulbs (BA9S) on Amazon and swapped out the weak orange color emitting OEM bulbs.

Morimoto projectors and HID bulb system have been ordered and arrive Tuesday....can’t wait to get it all installed!

Last edited by rgupta250; 12-19-2020 at 07:37 PM.
ch3tman (12-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Headlight/Fog Light Upgrades