Old 03-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 2ndof2
Getting back on topic here, the car I am looking at is a southern cal car. It's a '96, has about 62K miles and only the exhaust has been modified. Turbo twist wheels, not lowered, 6speed, C2 narrow body, metallic blk/blk interior. Looks very clean. The guy started at $37,500 months ago and now says $33K is his bottom line having put "$40K" into the car...whattever, people bought them new for $60K+, is that supposed to be some sort of selling point? Whatta joke! Even if this car is as clean as the photos look, there's no way its worth more than $30K. It would be a different story if he had just put new brakes, tires, clutch, shocks on the car and it had some high dollar mods like suspension, interior upgrades etc. but alas, it does not. Doesn't even have xenon lights or sport seats and he wants top dollar. IF.....and that's a big IF, the car had these kinds of mods and a maint. record of having alot done to the car of late I would consider his price. I am a "price shopper" looking for the best example at a price I can afford. I am also realistic and am not trying to hold out for only a bargain deal. I suppose around $30K is fair, but I am not about to pay this guy $33K if I can find a car in Florida that has all the mods I want, less miles, in the same condition for about that price. My brother can go see the car and I can either drive it home or ship it. Basically I can get a better car for the same price or just a bit more. 10% over fair market is reasonable to me but with all the sources out there telling me the guy's price is high, I'm getting frustrated hearing things from seller's like "there's not alot of 993's out there for sale" or "its the best example you'll find" (usually they say that when they have 90K miles, or the "I've put X dollars into it" when its practically bone stock with no recent maint. history. The guy says $33K, I say have a nice day!
You've siad alot here.
I just booked the car out(basic car) wholesale is 31200.00
so he wants 33000.00 thats not unreasonable.
Have you found a similar car but modded out in FL for 30k yet?

Like all things in life.......nothins free!!
Just because a car, or house is for sale DOES NOT mean it must be sold at a firesale price.

Car values IMO are like opinions.........everyone has one

good luck in your search. If you wait long enought you might find one in the 20's
Old 03-24-2004, 07:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally posted by Speedraser

Mike, is the car your friend may buy an early, mid or late-build '95?
I'm not sure, I had a fairly cursory look at it. This is for Steve's (Levefreeanddrive) friend in NH, so Steve will know better.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by red911c2
Guys, pls give me an opinion on this:

I'm looking at a 1997 C2 Coupe, 39,000 miles, white/black interior, tiptronic (so the wife can drive it), 18" turbo twists, lowered, exhaust, xenons, excellent condition (getting PPI done either tomorrow or Friday and that will verify).

The private owner is asking $40k, do you think that is in the ballpark or is it too high? Based on an autotrader.com search, it looks fair but I wanted to confirm with you guys.

Pls help me out quick so that I can become a 993 member. :-)

Thanks in advance!!!
Red911c2, IMHO that seems a pretty good price if the car checks out.

I have mentioned this before, but there were substantial improvements to the electronics and hydraulics of the Tiptronic system on the '96+ OBDII cars, so to me the later 993 Tip cars have a bit more of an advantage over the earlier models than is the case with stick shift cars. You get varioram plus a slightly better Tiptronic. Also, the '97 and '98 ECUs can be easily reprogrammed, which the '96 can not without a lot more $.

So, '97 is a good year for a Tip 993. As part of the PPI or service history, however, check to see if a trans fluid change has been done. This is often overlooked on Tip cars.

Lastly, there were a lot more cabriolets equipped with Tips than coupes, so if you want a Tip coupe (as I did) the pickings can be slim. The overall market is probably smaller for Tip cars, but just as strong within that smaller audience, so IME it is unlikely that you will experience lots of choices and price variations. Hope this one works out for you.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil,
You made me laugh! If my search goes like it has been the values probably will be in the 20's in 5 years or so. That '96 I'm considering looks nice but not enough info on replaced wear items. That is my major complaint, not necessarily that the car doesn't have alot of mods. In fact, I also prefer less mods but there are some which are factory options that are a major plus. As far as Florida vehicles, my brother is searching locally there for me. While I don't expect to find one with lots of mods, I do expect to find something stock with less miles for around $30-32K. I'm not looking for a 30,000 mile car here, just something south of 55 or 60 - WITH service records. My luck I'll overpay a guy like the one I was mentioning above by a few G's and then immediately wind up with a clutch, shocks repair bill for a few G's more. To me patience is the answer, but I'm struggling to be certain of a fair price. I don't know that I've qualified the EXACT specifications of the car are that is most desireable to me, but the one I described earlier fits the bill. If it had an S-type front facia, lowered, sport seats, xenons all the better and it certainly would be worth more money to me, but pretty much bone-stock with high miles and no indication of major wear items being replaced makes me nervous. Not made of money though if you saw my 928 repair bills over the past 4 years you might dissagree. Maybe I WAS before I got the 928! Anyhow, some searches on the other sites besides KBB seem to indicate a bit higher value than the $30K I was thinking. I still consider "excellent" condition with 50K+ miles to be a car that has new brakes, clutch, shocks, and records. Maybe its just me...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd
check your PM's
Old 03-24-2004, 11:58 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by 2ndof2
I still consider "excellent" condition with 50K+ miles to be a car that has new brakes, clutch, shocks, and records. Maybe its just me...
I think you are justified to expect a car considered and offered as "excellent condition" to include most of those things. In fact I agree with you completely except for the clutch. There are many lister that have 993's with clutches with much higher mileage than 62k. Clutch life is really a factor of how the previous owners drove the car and their ability to use the clutch properly vs a specific expected life based on miles.

That said...for a car truly in "excellent condition" with the most of those wear and maintenance items replaced I don't think there is anyway you are going to get one for $33k unless the owner is in need of a financial relief for some reason. I have 56k miles on my car and I have replaced everything you mentioned plus additional items as preventive maintenance and there is no way I will sell my car for $33k, in fact I can wholesale my car to a couple of independent dealers for $36.5 right now.

Good luck with the search.

Quick Reply: Kelley Blue Book Values - how far off?