993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help - battery or starter or DME relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 12:42 AM
Raff993Cab
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need help - battery or starter or DME relay

1997 993 47Kmiles. Earlier today, when trying to start the car, starter ticks continuously and then engine turned over and ran. I drove for 1/2 hr, stopped for about 1 hr. Tried to start, had same starting problem but it turned over after a couple of attempts. Drove for about 15 min, got home, checked the battery and it read 10V (to my knowledge, it is the original battery). But now, car won't start at all. I noticed that I have the 944.part.num DME relay. If you've had this problem before, did you replace the relay, the battery and/or starter? I am the 2nd owner and do not have radio codes. Anyone have specific tips when replacing the battery? Where can I get the radio codes? What about the on-board computer - what should I prepare for? Thx in advance for your help and I will also be searching the archives for help. I do have the new DME relay part num (thx Robin).
Old 05-14-2002, 01:19 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Raff
My guess is a combination of 2 problems -
1. failing DME relay causing the hard starting problems, plus
2. a battery at/near the end of its life (about that age) which couldn't take the load of the extra cranking.

Doesn't sound like a starter problem.

I'd recharge the battery - if it'll hold a charge, replace the DME & it should start so you can drive to buy a new battery. Check the archives for battery suggestions. I've been happy w/my vented Interstate battery.

Can't help w/OBC - I use a battery/solar Casio.

Read this thread for your <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002796" target="_blank">lost radio code.</a>

Regards,
Old 05-14-2002, 07:41 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Raff993Cab:
<strong>1997 993 47Kmiles. Earlier today, when trying to start the car, starter ticks continuously and then engine turned over and ran. I drove for 1/2 hr, stopped for about 1 hr. Tried to start, had same starting problem but it turned over after a couple of attempts. Drove for about 15 min, got home, checked the battery and it read 10V (to my knowledge, it is the original battery). But now, car won't start at all. I noticed that I have the 944.part.num DME relay. If you've had this problem before, did you replace the relay, the battery and/or starter? I am the 2nd owner and do not have radio codes. Anyone have specific tips when replacing the battery? Where can I get the radio codes? What about the on-board computer - what should I prepare for? Thx in advance for your help and I will also be searching the archives for help. I do have the new DME relay part num (thx Robin).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Raff - if you only had 10V after 15 mins driving, either your battery is dying or it is not being charged. Charge the battery (if you can), get started or jump-start, and check voltage with the engine running - across the battery should be 13-14v at least. If not, you have alternator/charging problem. But 5 years is a good life for a battery - mine was replaced prior to re-sale by the OPC after 4+ years.

HTH, cheers, Maurice
Old 05-14-2002, 09:21 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Battery is dead. Replace it.

Typical battery life is only 3-4 years, you got your money's worth.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:52 PM
Raff993Cab
AutoX

Thx to all suggestions. Will jumpstart and see if it will start. Will post resolution tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:04 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also visually inspect your alternator belt, just in case.

Regarding the ODB2, your car may run rough for a few minutes while the computer regathers data about the engine. Nothing to worry about.

Let us know what battery you get and show a pic of the installation if possible. Remember to hook up the vent tube, if it is there..

Anir and I have a long history of battery related posts!

Jeff
Old 05-14-2002, 10:13 PM
Raff993Cab
AutoX

Last night the car would not start at all. Just kept tickin'. Today, I replaced the DME relay and while it ticks a few times, it does start. I checked the battery while engine was running and it charged to a little &lt; 14V and sustained. I plan to replace the battery tomorrow and will report whether starting is normal or continues to have problems.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:11 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Definately the battery. Call the local interstate shop and they will deliver one to you. I forget the model you need, but its in the archives - Ray and I have the same one.

E. J.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The usual symptoms for a bad DME relay are that the car will turn over but does not fire. The DME relay controls the fuel pump and it will not run if your DME relay is bad.

If you still have your original battery (4+ years old) I would save yourself the headache and replace it before you are stranded. Also not a bad idea to carry a portable battery jumper.

Greg
Old 05-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

[quote]Definately the battery. Call the local interstate shop and they will deliver one to you. I forget the model you need, but its in the archives - Ray and I have the same one.<hr></blockquote>

My feeble brain seems to remember it's a type 48. Bolts right in place of OE - same size and mounting.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Raff993Cab
AutoX

Bought a new Exide Select Orbital (Kragen Auto Parts) for &lt;$140 and car started without a hiccup. Snug fit, except -ve post slightly raises carpet cover. No vent tube attachment. Thx to all for your help.

Quick Reply: Need help - battery or starter or DME relay