Sponsored by:

weight of cargraphic wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 03:59 AM
winsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight of cargraphic wheel

Does anyone know the weight of the cargraphic 18" cross spoke wheels. I have round up my choice with the cargraphic and Kenesis 28, both in black to match my speed yellow body.

Any comment regarding these wheels (quality, weight etc) are most welcome.

Many Thanks,
Old 03-22-2004, 04:53 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I find this site quite useful but unfortunately it only lists the Kenesis 28's

http://www.europeanspeed.com/wheelweights.htm

About all I can offer. Hope it is of some help to you.

I'm in the process of buying wheels myself so I know what your going through. Changed my mind from my last post. I'm probably going to get these.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:20 AM
winsome
Instructor

Thanks for your info. I have been looking at many many wheels and changed my mind many many times. There are just SO much option out there that its a pain (or joy depends on how you look at it) to try to finalize a decision. BBS, OZ, Kenesis, HRE etc etc. But I have now set my mind to a black coloured wheel so it actually limited to a few choices.

The one you choose is it a three piece cast forged? OZ racing has a similar looking one called superlegger I think it is quite nice also. I wanted mind to have the looks AND light weighted as well so....still a bit more research to go.

Thanks again,
Old 03-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

From the Simmons website...

Castings

All road wheel styles have centres cast in aluminium alloy CC601-T6 using the gravity, or permanent mould process. All castings are heat treated to T6 temper.

Rim Sections

All Simmons rim sections are spun from high tensile alloy #6061, heat treated during manufacture to full hard T6 temper.
Most Simmons wheels intended for road use now use 6mm thick alloy for outer rim sections, instead of 5mm formerly used, to improve rims' resistance to impact damage.
4mm or 5mm alloy is used for inner rim sections, depending on vehicle weight. All rims feature safety humps.
Racing wheels above club level specification are generally fitted with 4mm rim sections.
Simmons exclusive rim manufacturing process, developed in 1999, ensures rim sections of closely controlled thickness with "industry best" dimensional accuracy and roundness.
All outer rim sections are highly polished alloy.
The inner rim section is natural matt grey finish, characteristic of heat treated aluminium.

For me I'm buying on a budget which therefor limits my choices. I'm also getting it through a friend who manages a tyre store. The only downside is I can only choose from the suppliers they use. The upside is I'm paying a little over there store's cost price. I'm not too worried about the weight as beggars cant be choosers. There are many other wheels I like more which are also lighter but cost alot more and aren't available in NZ so I have freight/taxes etc on top of the purchase.

Painting the centre of the rims any color is also an option later if you want a black cloured wheel. Just something to think about.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:47 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with FVD (a Rennlist sponsor) for the weight of the Cargraphic wheel as they sell the wheel.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of 18" Cargraphic Wheels for sale. They were on my Wife's Narrow bodied 993 that we sold. I'm getting 19" Cargrpahic's for my C4S.

18x 8 et 47 23lbs
18x10 et 52 25lbs

My wheels are silver though. But they can be easily painted black. Cargraphic USA just sends them out to a paint shop to get them painted.

My wife and I went through every wheel. OZ Super Legerra III, HRE, Fikse, Kinesis etc

We ended up choosing Cargraphic becasue it has been TUV approved and tested on the Nürburgring Ring. It's been used on the Gemballa cars, Roock Racing cars etc. It has heritage.

HRE was a no because they are not TUV approved and every friend of mine who has them has at least 1 or 2 bent from hitting small potholes. Cargraphic is a little heavier compared to all the other wheels because they are made stronger.

Here's a link to get more info on Cargraphic

http://www.stuttgart.co.uk/cg18inch/cargraphic18p1.html

-Steve
Old 03-22-2004, 01:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,249 Posts

NZ 9eleven

I was curious if you had more info on this CC601 alloy? I am not familiar with this alloy and was curious if you had an ANSI or UNS code for it.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by cobalt
NZ 9eleven

I was curious if you had more info on this CC601 alloy? I am not familiar with this alloy and was curious if you had an ANSI or UNS code for it.
No sorry. I just cut and pasted that from there website.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:00 AM
winsome
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the help. My mind is fixed on the cargraphic and Kenesis. I know they are not as light as the other, such as the bbs rs gt which is very well made and very light but they don't have the offset I am looking for. Then of cause the look too....

After the wheels then will be the light weight seats (Cobra Melano), neverendingstory........
Old 03-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steve Nagata
I have a set of 18" Cargraphic Wheels for sale. They were on my Wife's Narrow bodied 993 that we sold. I'm getting 19" Cargrpahic's for my C4S.

18x 8 et 47 23lbs
18x10 et 52 25lbs
Weight was a consideration when I swapped my factory hollowspokes for some aftermarket rims. I went with a set of Kinesis K28's as I wanted something as light or lighter than the hollowspokes.

Weights of Kinesis K28's (if memory serves)...
18x8 = ~19lbs (half lb. heavier than 18x7.5 hollowspoke)
18x10= ~22.5lbs (half lb lighter than 18x10 hollowspoke)

Between the Kinesis and Cargraphics, I do not think you can go wrong with either.

Wheels custom painted in Porsche silver (same color as factory wheels)
Old 03-27-2004, 12:32 PM
winsome
Instructor

Thanks for the info and picture Sloth and the K28 looks really good with the 996.

Quick Reply: weight of cargraphic wheel