Need advice on Lotec Bi-Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Need advice on Lotec Bi-Turbo!

Dear all,

Once again I turn to the rennlist forums for advice.

My last prospect object, a 964 Turbo S was a big disappointment when it showed out to be in an urgent need of engine rebuild. However that was for track purpose (the car was rebuilt).

Now, I'm looking at a 1996 - 993 Targa with an engine conversion to a Lotec-Bi-Turbo (451 PS/550 NM) and high-performance breaks. I got my doubts about how much the clutch on the ordinary 993 would stand and I got no experience of Lotec tuned cars at all. So I'd be very glad for any response or advice I could get about Lotec.

For those curious about how a Lotec engine compartment looks like, I'll attach a picture.

Best Regards
Rassel
Old 03-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm.. Where is the intercooler?

I don't know too much about Lotec, but at first guess, I would say you'd be better off with just getting a TT to begin with. With the extra power and heat, other car subsystems need to upgraded accordingly. You already picked up on the clutch issue.

Unless you are getting an AWESOME deal on this car, I'd pass, imho.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:45 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Rassel,

Are you in Europe or U.S.?

I looked at a Lotec modified turbo last year, and spoke with Steve Weiner at length about it. Bottom line, to me anyways, as far as turning regular Carreras into turbo machines, RUF is the only tuner one can safely consider. Anybody else is a crap-shoot.

Why I asked your location is that if you are in the States, this Targa you are looking at is most likely a grey market car. If that's the case, you can bank on a ton of $$$$ maintaining it here (few mechanics will give you a deal on such a unfamiliar car such as an Euro version Lotec tuned tt), and then a heck of a time selling it at the end (few buyers will spring $$$$ for a grey market, Lotec tuned car, double whammy).

Unless this is a screaming deal, I advise caution. Jeff is right, there are many/better alternatives (performance wise) to buying this Lotec tt.

CP
Old 03-22-2004, 06:02 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Umm.. Where is the intercooler?
My first thought too!
If I'll go see the car (it's quite far away), I'll find out and report!

I'm in Europe.
Well, the deal aint that good. You can get a TT for about the same price. However I liked the thought of a small 993 with TT power.

Anyway, thanx for advising.
Rassel
Old 03-22-2004, 07:26 AM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lotec are nowadays called TTP, they do the engines for Gemballa as well as their own tuning work. They have a good reputation in Europe. Their TT conversions for the 993 can be had with water/air or air/air intercoolers, so looks like water/air for the pic you posted. More on TTP at http://www.t-t-p.de/english/index.php
Old 03-22-2004, 11:19 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally posted by Rassel
My first thought too!
If I'll go see the car (it's quite far away), I'll find out and report!

I'm in Europe.
Well, the deal aint that good. You can get a TT for about the same price. However I liked the thought of a small 993 with TT power.
Rassel
If you are in Europe, you should have little problem finding a C2 or C4 with RUF conversion (BTR or Turbo-R).

I got my 993 BTR-2 (narrowbody body, 2 wheel drive) from Germany, even though it is an American spec. car.

Good luck.

CP
Old 03-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Actually, there isn't many RUF/Lotec/Gemballa and other conversions available!
I've looked through most major places, and it seems like either the prices are dreams or they completly wrecked the car.

I've spoken to RUF about conversion, and they still convert old 993 models. However, just basically buying a TT instead of converting to a BTR is cheaper.

Isn't there a single Lotec owner on the board?
I'd really like to get input from a owner! ..or atleast someone who used one.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Lotec Bi-Turbo!