Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Chris in Detroit - Trailer Lights Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 05:33 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chris in Detroit - Trailer Lights Question...

Chris in Detroit,

I am at the stage and about to purchase a trailer for my wheels and will use your pictures to design the hitch. Thank you.

My question: How did you hook up the lights at the car end? I assume you spliced into the wires leading to one of the tail lights, but how do you know which wires to splice into (without buying the manuals - sorry Ray). Also what kind of wire kit do I need. I am just looking for advice on how to attach the wires to the car.

Many Thanx,
Old 06-07-2001, 07:06 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Thumbs up

EJ

Yes - spliced into the rear lights - looks very easy.

Despite a picture being worth a thousand words and all that, I haven't figured out how to do it on this new board - so I've emailed you some pics of the install, hopefully they will help ! Anyone else who wants these pls. email me and I'll send them.

The pics show the "standard" trailer kit, which my local shop sourced - so I'm not much help there ! But I do know it was (a) cheap and seemed to be (b) universally available.

Try contacting South Sport Trailers - perhaps they could supply you with one ?

However, note, I have been having problems with the trailer lights working erratically. I think the problem is that the voltage drop through the standard coverter shown in the pics is such that the unit doesn't quite work properly. Result, usually one rear light is out, or, one rear indicator doesn't work ! I have to confess that I haven't worried that much so far - the 911 with trailer is unusual enough that people tend to notice it and not drive into me - and I've been lucky, with no tickets for it so far. Of course be different if both rear lights didn't work ..........

Drop me an email if you can't figure it out - I'd suggest a visit to Pep-Boys to see if they have the standard unit I am referring to.

My suggestion would be to have your shopo do it - and be responsible for making sure all lights work etc.

Anyway, right now I'm off to the track - so no responses to anyone 'til at least friday night !
Old 06-07-2001, 10:39 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Thumbs up

Got em Chris, Thanx a lot. I will email response tomorrow. Good luck at the track. Where are you going?
Old 06-08-2001, 11:08 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Talking

Gingerman in W.Michigan - group of friends of friends rented the track so there were just 12 or so of us !

BIG FUN

Quick Reply: Chris in Detroit - Trailer Lights Question...