Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A few pictures from the Malibu->Cold Springs Tavern cruise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

"Muahahaha................................. HWFMR will slowly take over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Shhhh, Princeton, don't tell.

Left coasters
Nice to see those shirts and hats in weather where they are appropriate. But where are the paparazzi, groupies and loose women the team colors always attract?

Obviously HWFMR had a hand in planning that trip. After all, the destination was a tavern.

Steve

Can you I.D. everyone in the group photo.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:47 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Me too! Who's in the picture?? I see at least three fellow HWFM tee shirts in the bunch. I want to know who my boys are

Geeze the picture brings back memories except we also had crazy female Porsche zelots driving on the runs too. Like Mike said, where were they?? Seriously, I miss the days when a bunch of us (from the Grand Prix Region of PCA) would cruise up to Cold Springs Tavern on a run..... Ah, the joys of living in California. It's finally getting warm again here in the booonies of Arkansas so that we can go out and enjoy driving one of our Porsche's with the windows down.

Hope the incident on the 101 didn't cause too much damage.

JoAnne
Old 03-22-2004, 12:17 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope the incident on the 101 didn't cause too much damage.
Anybody know of a good bodyshop in LA?

JoAnne and Steve,
That was me Very sad...the traffic wasn't moving and the SUV in front of me accelerated and immediately locked up her brakes. I could not react fast enough and tucked my bumper in under hers.

The bad: I scraped my front bumper cover down to the plastic in one spot (a screw sticking out under the SUV bumper).

The good: I had wanted to repaint my bumper cover anyway so no biggie. No other damage to my car or the SUV.

Besides that, it was an incredible and almost(my fault though) perfect day. Coldsprings brings back alot of memories as I used to drive those roads in college (went to school in Santa Barbara). Steve, I am going to forward the picture of your car with the bridge to one of my old college roomies (canyon crazy cyclist) to make him jealous.

Fred: you have a real talent for selecting road trip routes. Thank you.

Phil: Good to see you again and thank you for the donuts and hospitality.

Last edited by David '96 993; 03-22-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all, as far as the babes, go, you shoulda seen the girl who took the group photo! As far as IDing people, I'm going to show my inablility to remember names. Oh... that goofy-looking guy in the front weraing the HWFMR tee shirt and shorts? That's me. I know about 6 of the other names, but I think I'll let people ID themselves. Then, perhaps someone who knows photoshop can repost that picture (hi res version is available) with name tags?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:07 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Steve.... you are not that old!! At least not as old as I pictured you to be in my minds eye. Old Fart?? Nah, you even have hair!!!

David... Glad it wasn't that bad. Have you thought of going to Brace's in Marina Del Ray? We've been out of LA for 3 years now so I don't know if he's still there or not, but he was great! PM me if you need is phone number...

JoAnne
Old 03-22-2004, 01:17 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by John D.
Outstanding pics..!!!!

Can you schedule the next one for when I can be out there???

BTW - that bridge is pretty cool..!
John, let me know when you are coming out and I'm sure I can get a "few" people out for a drive. Have you ever driven a GT2?

David, sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Yeah, the 101 was packed coming home. It's as good a time as any to go to a Euro bumper cover. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:18 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Who's Who?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ca993twin
We had guys come down from Cupertino and from Pismo Beach. But the winner in the long-distance contest came out from Chicago to join us. I wish I could remeber everyone's name. Here is some of us at Cold Springs Tavern:
Bottom row:

Hamann7, Eyal 951, John Velasco, Terry Adams behind John, 24FPS, Ingo smoking and his girlfriend, ca993twin

Top row:

agent 325, adsc4s, mike zois, on time, coleman, ? (sorry!), Socal Mike, fbfisher, ? (sorry again!), David 96 993, TomC and Shant O.

There were a few on the drive that we lost or did not make the pic but I believe everyone had a good time.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve, thanks for the sharing some pix..BUT we want more!! more pix, more pix more pix more pix!
Mike
Old 03-22-2004, 01:40 PM
paul-hb
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks for letting me join you all!

David,

Good to meet you...small world. Sorry to hear about your bumper. I'm sure Jason knows someone who can help you get it fixed.

Thanks to the organizers and all the new people I met. I truly enjoyed the ride! Great roads! My poor old '73 was very tired after that run and averaged a whoping 10mpg!!

Look forward to seeing everyone at the next one.

Paul
1973 RS Clone
Old 03-22-2004, 04:21 PM
David '96 993
Pro

JoAnne,
Thank you for the tip on Brace's. I will look them up. Actually, I have met both you and Robert on several occations many years ago as I was in the GPX Region. I had a silver 911SC Cab then and did many a fun run as well as the drive to the 50th Porsche Anniversary in Monteray. BTW, I am in the HWFM shirt and hat behind Steve.

Paul,
It was fun chatting about RS's and listening to the music from your car trying to keep up with you and the GT2. Very impressive how you kept that car under control. Don't EVER lift or its oversteer city. I am sure our paths will cross again.

My little mishap may just be the mod opportunity I need. Turning lemons into lemonaid
Old 03-22-2004, 04:30 PM
paul-hb
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

since you are a fellow track junkie, you might appreciate this. Here are two edited videos from recent races. Warning, the files are still very large and take a while to download. AOL/Dial up users don't even attempt it!

Enjoy:

California Speedway race March 2004

Las Vegas Motor Speedway Race February 2004

PS I am running a 1999 BMW M coupe in Stock Class.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm in the rear row.. bald guy wearing red shirt next to Ontime! (other bald guy wearing blue shirt!) .. I swear to god that's my own hand on my leg, allthough it looks like SoCal mikes.. Yikes!!! It was really good meeting all of you (some for a second time!) I hope to get my car back from the shop soon- I'm on the Ducati 'till then.

Coleman.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:37 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Coleman,

Nice meeting you yesterday. Very funny about "the hand" on your leg. Notice that, in true California spirit, no one else made a comment or even thought it was unusual.

JoAnne,

"Steve.... you are not that old!! At least not as old as I pictured you to be in my minds eye. Old Fart?? Nah, you even have hair!!!"

Are you hitting on me? Oh drats... well, worth a shot ehhh??? I'm 3E... almost 40. I have a 17-year-old grand son!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:51 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

david... pm'd w/ another poss. for your fix. & paul-hb... it was sooo nice to follow the gt-2 & then you in the 'rs' i just followed your line >>>>& i agreed w/ others when they wanted to know what you had under that duck-tail (you gotta be sore today) no-power anything!!!!. was really cool to see that car dart into the canyon followed by so many others great cars of all colors.

& btw: a few 'lister's" did bail before the bbq... which will account for some 'hotties' missing. maybe they had some other functions to tend to??? dunno & yeah steve/old fart... the nice lady takin the pic was coleman's girlfriend.... & i'd agree w/ what ya said.... we just don't have it on film.... no proof for the 'turtle'.... damn.... '?' maybe next run....

btw: speakin of gas milage... was eyal able to fill up??? & make it back? eyal???!!!

coleman.... the hand on the leg thing.... i did a triple take on that one!!!! too funny

Last edited by 24FPS; 03-22-2004 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: A few pictures from the Malibu->Cold Springs Tavern cruise