Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gave a Deposit - TruSpeed Motorcars

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 12:19 AM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are dealing with Roger at NP Auto he should be able to run the computer for you to determine what service had been performed previously. I would also ask him to specifically have Kevin Kelly do the PPI. He is the go to wrench there and by many accounts and the opinion of several experienced RennListers here, one of the best mechanics in OC. Quality PPIs are not a given. I did not fare so well with a well known dealer in FL. and once the car was delivered did not get particularly stellar service from one of the local independents despite having done my homework on RL first. I have met Kevin and he appears to be a stand up guy. He did my 15K as well as an unexpected early belt replacement after the first shop had failed to advise me to return for a readjustment following the pulley upgrade.

Prior to Kevin returning there based on the archives, NP Auto had a spotty record among various posters here.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Agro1
Banned

Max - Interesting, I will for sure look into that...

DrZ - Thanks for the heads up. I spoke to Russ at NP Auto. I'll make a call Mon and request Kevin do the inspection.

I almost hope the CEL is the carbon prob. or something else that requires fixing so I can see if Truspeed will honor their word and take care of it...Hmmmmmm
Old 03-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Agro, Glad to see you apparently found what you've been looking for. Crossing my fingers for you...
Old 03-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I bought my 97 from them and am currently looking at a few cars they have in inventory. Both Rob and Brack are great to work with. I am a happy customer and would recommend them again and again.

That being said, I would question your choice of a location for a PPI. I am not a fan of dealership PPI's. I would highly recommend that you take the car to Laura and Mark Hergesheimer. Rob and Brack are familiar with Herge and have taken a few cars that I have looked at there (one failed because I am too picky...I bought the other one).

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2004, 02:46 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you're the lucky one,I checked for this car today and it came back as "no longer available"... CONGRATS... I hope it checks out well.. it's beautiful..
Old 03-21-2004, 01:57 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

You can bet the CEL is carbon buildup on the secondary air injection...this is emissions related and you can get them to fix it...it is a couple grand worht of work (however Steve 96 has got it down to an art and do it for considerably less) I think it shows up as a misfire on the two middle cylinders in the fault codes.

After that there isn't much else other than tired shocks at 50k (very tired shocks at 50k)
Old 03-21-2004, 01:58 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

The other thing to check is the wiring harness...run your VIN against the years and production run affected with this recall.

Good luck~!
Old 03-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Eddy
Advanced

I also looked very hard at a car Truspeed had, but found a private party car. Very nice people to talk with. I would recommend Andial for a PPI, I believe they are the experts and Mitch the service writer is great. Best of luck with the car. What price did you guys settle on? Rob likes ti negotiate and always has cars he is looking at purchasing.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I couldn't agree more with making the purchase contingent on fixing the CEL. We know it's very probable that's it's carbon build up, particularly with 50K on it -- make sure they agree to clean it out. Secondly, find out who the PO was and talk to him or her about the CEL, how often they changed the oil, other mechanical issues etc. I think that's critical -- if they don't let you do that, I'd walk away.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:31 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agro,

It looks like a very nice car. The PPI as you know is crucial. Make sure where ever you decide to take it reads and writes down or prints out all the fault codes for the car the CEL could be nothing more than a faulty O2 sensor like you said or the tell tale sign of the secondary air injection problem. I assume you are also getting a compression test performed.

I noticed you mentioned a respray on the front bumper. Have you seen documentation that Truespeed completed the work and why? I can not comment on their honesty or business practices, but if they deal in Porsche they should realize that paint work is red flag and have documentation on why and what was completed. Make sure that during the PPI who ever does it looks for any signs of other body work. It would seem to me that a quality respray of the front bumper would be done with the bumper off the car so there should be no sign of any type of over spray on the car. Make sure all other signs inside the front and under the front do not contain evidence that there was a front end collision.

I know another poster mentioned that $40k is too much for this car, however, if the CEL is not a problem with the secondary injection (or if it is and they fix it properly), the PPI checks out great and you get comprehensive records I don't think something close to $40k is unreasonable for a 1996 in pristine well cared for condition that is not going to need any immediate service. Some items to consider when thinking about price are: brake pad and rotor condition and how much life is left on the tires. Replacement of cost of these items can add up very quickly.

Good luck with the PPI. From the pictures and the appearance it looks like a fantastic car that has been well taken car off (hopefully mechanically it will prove the same).
Old 03-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree with Mark regarding having a PPI done at NBP. Mark Hergesheimer has many 993 clients on this board and would do an excellent job for you.

Good luck. It's a beauty!

Bill
Old 03-21-2004, 06:50 PM
DrZ
Racer

I don't think a front bumper respray is unusual for a car of this age and mileage. One thing to consider if this matters to you is it that with silver, adjacent panels must be blended in as well in order to obtain a perfect color match. This was told to me by Tim Deschler after he inspected my car which had clear coat oversray on the lateral black hood trim. Matching the "metallic fleck" pattern exactly is also quite challenging with silver paint. If still a concern to you have Tim check out the car as well. He is in Orange on Taft Rd., honest, competent, and knows Porsches
Old 03-21-2004, 07:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Another thing to veryfy regarding the paintwork, is that the front bumper cover is the original and not a replacement.

Like others have said, you may want to have an independant like Hergesheimers perform the PPI. I know Mark and Laura will spend all the time you need under the car to get you comfortable with the cars condition..
Old 03-21-2004, 08:22 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

I have found that dealers sometimes disclose a resprayed front bumper so that when any other bodywork/paintwork is discovered upon a PPI they can state "well, you knew it had some paintwork."
Old 03-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Mike in O.C.
Instructor

I've talked to "Truspeed" in the past and found them to honest and helpful.
But, don't let your good feelings for the dealer interfere with the issues the car may have. CEL problems could end up being a continuing headache for you after purchase. Putting tape over the idiot light does not solve the problem, especially when you go to get the vehicle smogged and it does not pass.
I agree that Hergesheimers is a good place to get a PPI. I stopped by there one day to ask about something and there was the owner and buyer of a Porsche getting a PPI done there. I was present when the mechanic came back into the office with his check-sheet and thoughly explained to them the issues he found. I was impressed.
Good hunting.

Quick Reply: Gave a Deposit - TruSpeed Motorcars