993 Forum 1995-1998

Convert USA/Canada/Japan fog light function to ROW

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 07:28 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert USA/Canada/Japan fog light function to ROW

I finally snagged some wiring diagrams for the 993 on ebay (the CD copies are almost unuseable), and was able to solve a problem I encountered when I installed a relay to switch 100w high beams - you can see that thread here:
Kludge for high beam relays

There is a relay, R34, in the forward fuse/relay box, whose sole purpose is to turn off the fog lights when the high beams are switched on. This is only done on USA, Canada, and Japan models. My fix converts one of these cars to the ROW fog light function - essentially duplicating the ROW behavior and wiring - if you turn the fog lights on, they stay on.

First find relay R34 - it is one of the little gray ones with a big 53 on top in my car. Remove it and put it away for use as a spare. Now you want to jumper the 87 and 30 slots on the relay board, where the relay used to sit. To do this, I took a standard blade fuse, heated it up until the plastic went soft and I could remove the metal spades (these will fit into the relay receptacles.) I soldered a spade to each end of a short length of 12 gauge wire. This wire carries the current for both fog lamps, about 10 amps, so don't use small gauge wire. Porsche uses copper wire of 1.5mm diameter for this circuit. Insert one spade into the 30 slot, and the other into the 87 slot - they are labeled on the relay and the relay board. You are done. Now when you turn fog lights on, they will stay on whether you have selected high or low beam. Here is a picture of the Completed Project:

Chip

Last edited by 914und993; 03-20-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

love this a thread from 2004 saves me a headache in 2016....

Quick Reply: Convert USA/Canada/Japan fog light function to ROW