Sponsored by:

Finished the Front M030 Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 08:41 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bet
A couple of the little plastic clips have almost cryptic methods of removal (like the small plastic wedge that must be pushed out with small screw driver or punch) but once you see this things go very quickly and easily.
BET - One of the things that I do with and install is to just replace those plastic pieces. They are about $7 total per strut frpm Porsche. It saves about 20 minutes on the install, and sometimes I have found the ABS pod to be brittle and breaks when you try to open it.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:21 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did exactly what viperbob recommends, I replaced all the plastic clips and also bought new bottom perch and top hat parts for the strut/spring assembly. All looks really new in there now.

Keith, I think what your referring to as the fender liners is actually the sheet metal that the factory applied some kind of undercoating on and then was painted with the car body. If you clean this area it’s very easy to go right through the light coat of body color and you will expose the undercoating.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:40 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rich..

If I am understanding you correctly, you have removed the inner fender liners and have cleaned the body coating material off and what is left exposed is this black backing I see ???

Dumb question here....but I suspicion your car has not seen a day of rain has it ???
Old 03-21-2004, 01:03 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith,

Yes, the plastic fender is out and everything was carefully cleaned and waxed. The car only has 9k miles and was covered pretty good with cosmoline. Not sure if the PO ever had it in the rain but from what I have cleaned with all the disassembly I would guess it has.

Quick Reply: Finished the Front M030 Install