Sponsored by:

Plug'n'play LED high beams

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 02:05 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Plug'n'play LED high beams

Living in Montana with dark roads and an abundance of wildlife, I decided to upgrade the high beams on my 993. I already have Tores fantastic HID kit which brings the low beam output on par with the standard high beams. With the stock high beams being superfluous given the output of the HID's, LEDs seemed to be the right choice in increasing output while maintaining the instant on characteristics of a halogen bulb.

Searching though the forum I found that most LEDs did not fit into the stock housing and required dremeling of one of the supports. The other option is the Morimoto BI-XENON PROJECTORS, this option is more expensive and looks to require a bit more work but is also compatible with everything I have installed so could still be a future upgrade down the line.

I found this GTR lighting CSP mini H1 bulbs that looked like they would fit well and were reasonably priced at $115. From my research they seem to be smarter than the cheap bulbs you get off Amazon and shouldn't destroy themselves from heat. Where the LEDs attach is quite thin so it should accurately replicate an incandescent bulb and give off a good light pattern.

Installation was pretty simple, I would recommend using some needle nose pillars to install the retaining clips as even with my small hands, the space is very tight. The bulbs do make very slight contact with the support but even after running them for about an hour, I didn't see any melting on the support and it doesn't seem to affect the positioning of the bulb. Some may choose to slightly sand down the support for peace of mind.

The performance seems very good, the photos don't really do it justice on how much brighter it is.

Issues
As I have already addressed, the heat sink does slightly touch the support. As well, with the fog lights switched on, the high beams come on, but barely, just enough to see that the diodes are glowing. I believe this can be fixed by jumping relay R34.

Quick Reply: Plug'n'play LED high beams