Door lock removal suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Door lock removal suggestions

Hello

I would like to remove the door lock mechanism from the door to make a small tab mod as on the rs to be able to lock and unlock the door manually with the key

Does anyone have any suggestion or pictures on how to remove it from the door?

I removed the door panels and all but the window frame rail is just in front of the lock mechanism and I don t know if it has to be removed or if the lock can be moved sideways and removed

Thanks

Old 10-05-2020, 09:37 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

The doos can be locked and unlocked as is, not clear what you are trying to do???
The lock is part of the door pull and the two nuts holding it from the inside of the door can be accessed by just removing the plastic latch rain shroud internal to the door held in place by two small screws in the door jamb facia.
Andy
Old 10-05-2020, 09:52 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 370 Posts

This is a helpful post from Geolab.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...hange-diy.html
The following users liked this post:
mr_bock (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by pp000830
The doos can be locked and unlocked as is, not clear what you are trying to do???
The lock is part of the door pull and the two nuts holding it from the inside of the door can be accessed by just removing the plastic latch rain shroud internal to the door held in place by two small screws in the door jamb facia.
Andy
If you look at some pictures of spare 911 door lock mechanisms there are some that are made with 2 little tabs that are the parts that get moved by the key lock itself and one tab is for locking and the other for unlocking as for example on the RS models.

Then on some cars that are fitted with the central locking there is only one tab ( to unlock the car ) but the locking tab is missing and the key when turning just activate the electronic central lock actuators.

As on my car there is fitted the central locking version with just one tab ( and for some reason the central locking is not working but it s a partially stripped car converted to RS ) I would like to weld the second tab on the existing mechanism

I managed easely to remove the inside panels and different screvs and rods holding the mechanism in place but just in front of it there is the window sliding rail that is part of the window frame and I don t know if the mechanism can be taken out of the car without removing all the window system from the door

Old 10-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by 95_993
This is a helpful post from Geolab.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...hange-diy.html
Thanks

Old 10-06-2020, 09:57 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
If you look at some pictures of spare 911 door lock mechanisms there are some that are made with 2 little tabs that are the parts that get moved by the key lock itself and one tab is for locking and the other for unlocking as for example on the RS models.

Then on some cars that are fitted with the central locking, there is only one tab ( to unlock the car ) but the locking tab is missing and the key when turning just activate the electronic central lock actuators.

As on my car, there is fitted the central locking version with just one tab ( and for some reason the central locking is not working but its a partially stripped car converted to RS ) I would like to weld the second tab on the existing mechanism

I managed to easily to remove the inside panels and different screws and rods holding the mechanism in place but just in front of it there is the window sliding rail that is part of the window frame and I don t know if the mechanism can be taken out of the car without removing all the window system from the door
OK, so the tabs are on the latch mechanism not up in the handle/lock cylinder.
I seem to recall there was a design change somewhere between the beginning of production and 1996 where a switch in the door was eliminated. I bet looking at the parts catalog will give some insights and may even suggest what parts can be ordered to turn the locking function into a purely mechanical one.
Andy

Quick Reply: Door lock removal suggestions